Behold a deceptively innocent-looking Good Guy doll in this clip from CURSE OF CHUCKY!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
In this clip from CURSE OF CHUCKY, Don Mancini's back-to-basics return to the CHILD'S PLAY franchise, we get a good look at our central characters/victims. We get our new Andy surrogate, Alice, who seems to trust and listen a little too closely to the doll we know to be Chucky. Fiona Dourif, daughter of Brad (who's thankfully returning as the voice of the killer doll), is lingering in the background of this scene, but I think she ends up playing a more crucial role in the narrative than Alice's parents. They seem like ignorant, disbelieving knife fodder, if anything.
I'm not bonkers about the production values here; the acting, staging, and look seem a level below SEED OF CHUCKY, the last entry which Mancini also directed. However, the scale (and budget) are such that this isn't a huge surprise, and, come on, we just want some laughs, some scares, and some nifty practical FX out of this thing, and all else is secondary.
I do like that we have a clean-looking Chucky again (even if it doesn't make all that much sense in the narrative, which understandably isn't a concern in a series about a talking, murdering doll), and that we're getting back to the psychologically driven horror of the first (and best) CHILD'S PLAY. Love that shot of Chucky's eyes widening when he realizes how susceptible this girl will be to his manipulation. I imagine that the film will get nice and bloody eventually, but if the lead-up has enough small, eerie moments like that, it should make up for any B-movie vibes the dramatic stuff may give off.
But hey. It's a new Chucky movie with Don Mancini and Brad Dourif involved. Some of us out there wouldn't care if it was fucking THE ROOM. We'll see it anyway.
CURSE OF CHUCKY wants to play on VOD on September 24th, and on Blu-Ray/DVD on October 8th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 198 total posts 173 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 158 total posts 114 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 194 total posts 51 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 558 total posts 35 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 180 total posts 23 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 111 total posts 21 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 66 total posts 10 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 356 total posts 9 posts
- REAL HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION Premiere!! The Return Of ORPHAN BLACK!! Hallmark’s A LESSON IN ROMANCE!! Lifetime’s A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 7 total posts 7 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 191 total posts 7 posts