Behold a deceptively innocent-looking Good Guy doll in this clip from CURSE OF CHUCKY!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
In this clip from CURSE OF CHUCKY, Don Mancini's back-to-basics return to the CHILD'S PLAY franchise, we get a good look at our central characters/victims. We get our new Andy surrogate, Alice, who seems to trust and listen a little too closely to the doll we know to be Chucky. Fiona Dourif, daughter of Brad (who's thankfully returning as the voice of the killer doll), is lingering in the background of this scene, but I think she ends up playing a more crucial role in the narrative than Alice's parents. They seem like ignorant, disbelieving knife fodder, if anything.
I'm not bonkers about the production values here; the acting, staging, and look seem a level below SEED OF CHUCKY, the last entry which Mancini also directed. However, the scale (and budget) are such that this isn't a huge surprise, and, come on, we just want some laughs, some scares, and some nifty practical FX out of this thing, and all else is secondary.
I do like that we have a clean-looking Chucky again (even if it doesn't make all that much sense in the narrative, which understandably isn't a concern in a series about a talking, murdering doll), and that we're getting back to the psychologically driven horror of the first (and best) CHILD'S PLAY. Love that shot of Chucky's eyes widening when he realizes how susceptible this girl will be to his manipulation. I imagine that the film will get nice and bloody eventually, but if the lead-up has enough small, eerie moments like that, it should make up for any B-movie vibes the dramatic stuff may give off.
But hey. It's a new Chucky movie with Don Mancini and Brad Dourif involved. Some of us out there wouldn't care if it was fucking THE ROOM. We'll see it anyway.
CURSE OF CHUCKY wants to play on VOD on September 24th, and on Blu-Ray/DVD on October 8th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 516 total posts 130 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 291 total posts 113 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 70 total posts 70 posts
- For your viewing pleasure, a 5-minute clip of Star Lord and his GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! -- 209 total posts 64 posts
- Could This Be The (Barebones) Plot Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII?! SPOILERS! -- 1494 total posts 51 posts
Longest. Marathon. Ever.
FXX To Air All 25 Years Of THE SIMPSONS Over 12 Days Starting Aug. 21!! -- 78 total posts 45 posts
Only Seven Episodes
Of LOUIE Next Year!! -- 54 total posts 44 posts
- Universal Taps Alex Kurtzman And Chris Morgan To Reboot The Studio's Classic Monsters! -- 734 total posts 43 posts
- Look Upon JURASSIC WORLD’s Comic Con Exclusive Poster!! -- 186 total posts 41 posts
- A Preview Of SQUICKERWONKERS!! A New Book From LOST’s Evangeline Lilly - She's Bringing It To Comic Con This Week!! -- 39 total posts 39 posts