Behold a deceptively innocent-looking Good Guy doll in this clip from CURSE OF CHUCKY!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
In this clip from CURSE OF CHUCKY, Don Mancini's back-to-basics return to the CHILD'S PLAY franchise, we get a good look at our central characters/victims. We get our new Andy surrogate, Alice, who seems to trust and listen a little too closely to the doll we know to be Chucky. Fiona Dourif, daughter of Brad (who's thankfully returning as the voice of the killer doll), is lingering in the background of this scene, but I think she ends up playing a more crucial role in the narrative than Alice's parents. They seem like ignorant, disbelieving knife fodder, if anything.
I'm not bonkers about the production values here; the acting, staging, and look seem a level below SEED OF CHUCKY, the last entry which Mancini also directed. However, the scale (and budget) are such that this isn't a huge surprise, and, come on, we just want some laughs, some scares, and some nifty practical FX out of this thing, and all else is secondary.
I do like that we have a clean-looking Chucky again (even if it doesn't make all that much sense in the narrative, which understandably isn't a concern in a series about a talking, murdering doll), and that we're getting back to the psychologically driven horror of the first (and best) CHILD'S PLAY. Love that shot of Chucky's eyes widening when he realizes how susceptible this girl will be to his manipulation. I imagine that the film will get nice and bloody eventually, but if the lead-up has enough small, eerie moments like that, it should make up for any B-movie vibes the dramatic stuff may give off.
But hey. It's a new Chucky movie with Don Mancini and Brad Dourif involved. Some of us out there wouldn't care if it was fucking THE ROOM. We'll see it anyway.
CURSE OF CHUCKY wants to play on VOD on September 24th, and on Blu-Ray/DVD on October 8th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 181 total posts 181 posts
- Nordling Reviews THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL! -- 83 total posts 81 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 75 total posts 75 posts
- Idris Elba to voice a great, big, bloody Bengal tiger by the name of Shere Khan in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 85 total posts 59 posts
- Sam Raimi to produce an adaptation of THE LAST OF US!!! -- 150 total posts 46 posts
- From The Director Of GRAVITY!! The First Two Minutes Of NBC And Bad Robot’s BELIEVE!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- Jeremy Returns With More Tales From The CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Set! -- 71 total posts 45 posts
- "Just another Saturday night" Marv and company are back in the first trailer for SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR!! -- 185 total posts 43 posts
- Eric Bana Wants to DELIVER US FROM EVIL in this New Trailer! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- Merrick Stands Up In The Milky Way To Be Pummeled By The Greatness Of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY!! -- 38 total posts 38 posts