Behold a deceptively innocent-looking Good Guy doll in this clip from CURSE OF CHUCKY!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
In this clip from CURSE OF CHUCKY, Don Mancini's back-to-basics return to the CHILD'S PLAY franchise, we get a good look at our central characters/victims. We get our new Andy surrogate, Alice, who seems to trust and listen a little too closely to the doll we know to be Chucky. Fiona Dourif, daughter of Brad (who's thankfully returning as the voice of the killer doll), is lingering in the background of this scene, but I think she ends up playing a more crucial role in the narrative than Alice's parents. They seem like ignorant, disbelieving knife fodder, if anything.
I'm not bonkers about the production values here; the acting, staging, and look seem a level below SEED OF CHUCKY, the last entry which Mancini also directed. However, the scale (and budget) are such that this isn't a huge surprise, and, come on, we just want some laughs, some scares, and some nifty practical FX out of this thing, and all else is secondary.
I do like that we have a clean-looking Chucky again (even if it doesn't make all that much sense in the narrative, which understandably isn't a concern in a series about a talking, murdering doll), and that we're getting back to the psychologically driven horror of the first (and best) CHILD'S PLAY. Love that shot of Chucky's eyes widening when he realizes how susceptible this girl will be to his manipulation. I imagine that the film will get nice and bloody eventually, but if the lead-up has enough small, eerie moments like that, it should make up for any B-movie vibes the dramatic stuff may give off.
But hey. It's a new Chucky movie with Don Mancini and Brad Dourif involved. Some of us out there wouldn't care if it was fucking THE ROOM. We'll see it anyway.
CURSE OF CHUCKY wants to play on VOD on September 24th, and on Blu-Ray/DVD on October 8th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 179 total posts 43 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 306 total posts 5 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 82 total posts 4 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 3 posts
- SXSW 2014: Nordling Reviews BOYHOOD! -- 7 total posts 2 posts
- A newly remastered 4K print of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is coming just in time for its 40th anniversary!! -- 70 total posts 1 post
- Merrick Stands Up In The Milky Way To Be Pummeled By The Greatness Of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY!! -- 43 total posts 1 post
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 216 total posts 1 post
- 'There’s No Going Home For Me!!' The New Promo For Fox’s 24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY!! -- 12 total posts 1 post
- Eric Bana Wants to DELIVER US FROM EVIL in this New Trailer! -- 63 total posts 1 post