Behold a deceptively innocent-looking Good Guy doll in this clip from CURSE OF CHUCKY!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
In this clip from CURSE OF CHUCKY, Don Mancini's back-to-basics return to the CHILD'S PLAY franchise, we get a good look at our central characters/victims. We get our new Andy surrogate, Alice, who seems to trust and listen a little too closely to the doll we know to be Chucky. Fiona Dourif, daughter of Brad (who's thankfully returning as the voice of the killer doll), is lingering in the background of this scene, but I think she ends up playing a more crucial role in the narrative than Alice's parents. They seem like ignorant, disbelieving knife fodder, if anything.
I'm not bonkers about the production values here; the acting, staging, and look seem a level below SEED OF CHUCKY, the last entry which Mancini also directed. However, the scale (and budget) are such that this isn't a huge surprise, and, come on, we just want some laughs, some scares, and some nifty practical FX out of this thing, and all else is secondary.
I do like that we have a clean-looking Chucky again (even if it doesn't make all that much sense in the narrative, which understandably isn't a concern in a series about a talking, murdering doll), and that we're getting back to the psychologically driven horror of the first (and best) CHILD'S PLAY. Love that shot of Chucky's eyes widening when he realizes how susceptible this girl will be to his manipulation. I imagine that the film will get nice and bloody eventually, but if the lead-up has enough small, eerie moments like that, it should make up for any B-movie vibes the dramatic stuff may give off.
But hey. It's a new Chucky movie with Don Mancini and Brad Dourif involved. Some of us out there wouldn't care if it was fucking THE ROOM. We'll see it anyway.
CURSE OF CHUCKY wants to play on VOD on September 24th, and on Blu-Ray/DVD on October 8th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, NEBRASKA And The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 459 total posts 312 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 387 total posts 18 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 129 total posts 15 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 360 total posts 9 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 85 total posts 7 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 183 total posts 7 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 5 total posts 5 posts
- Lars Von Trier's NYMPHOMANIAC Gets Two Release Dates! -- 57 total posts 5 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 203 total posts 5 posts
- Capone feels burned by the out-of-control acting in OUT OF THE FURNACE!!! -- 62 total posts 3 posts