Ever wanted to see Scarlett Johansson as a skimpily-clad alien seductress? Well, check out this trailer for UNDER THE SKIN!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
We have our first look at UNDER THE SKIN, SEXY BEAST/BIRTH director Jonathan Glazer's first film in almost 10 years, via this newly released trailer. It's a pretty nifty, eye-catching piece of advertising, highlighting some nightmarish Lynchian imagery while titillating you with gorgeous shots of Scotland and of Scarlett Johansson's partially-naked body (word has it she does full-frontal nudity in this one, if that sorta thing floats your boat). The film has gotten mixed reviews out of Telluride and Venice, and has yet to get stateside distribution, but the "style over substance" arguments I've been reading aren't dissuading me due to the quality of said style in this trailer.
The story (which is said to be pretty thin) has Johansson playing an alien who inhabits the body of a corpse and traverses through the Scottish countryside for a sampling of human experiences, including violence, death, and, you guessed it, sexy intercourse. Sounds like the arthouse version of SPECIES; how can you dismiss that, even if, like me, you don't froth at the mouth at the notion of Johansson getting down and dirty?
That being said, I will reiterate: Scarlett Johansson does FULL-FRONTAL NUDITY in this film. In case you were still on the fence.
My favorite part of SEXY BEAST was the pitter-patter of the (often profane) dialogue, which it seems that Glazer has shied away from here, but I like ambitious mood pieces like this, so I'll definitely be checking it out whenever a distributor realizes that there will always be a market for both weirdo sci-fi AND long sought-after hottie nudity (I know a bunch of you have seen POWDER BLUE, so I know I'm right).
UNDER THE SKIN premiered this past Sunday at Telluride, and is currently seeking domestic distribution.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 531 total posts 117 posts
- Timur Bekmambetov Finds His Ben-Hur For, Well, BEN-HUR!! -- 87 total posts 87 posts
- Loki vs. King Kong in SKULL ISLAND! -- 336 total posts 60 posts
- Promo Images From DOCTOR WHO S08E05 - ‘Time Heist’!! -- 130 total posts 28 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 226 total posts 24 posts
- 12 TIFF reviews from 'garbageman33' covers everything from Gyllenhaal in NIGHTCRAWLER to Baumbach's WHILE WE'RE YOUNG! -- 25 total posts 23 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 185 total posts 21 posts
- Meryl Streep Bewitches the First INTO THE WOODS Poster! -- 68 total posts 17 posts
- AICN COMICS Reviews: Grant Morrison’s ANNIHILATOR! HAWKEYE! DUNGEONS & DRAGONS! SUPERMAN UNCHAINED! TOM CLANCY’S SPLINTER CELL! & More! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 153 total posts 13 posts