Dysfunction at Pixar as Bob Peterson has been taken off of directing THE GOOD DINOSAUR!!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
What is going on over at Pixar? Last week, there was some rumbling that director Bob Peterson had been taken off of THE GOOD DINOSAUR. Well today, Pixar president Ed Catmull confirmed that rumor, when he spoke to the LA Times and said the following:
"All directors get really deep in their films. Sometimes you just need a different perspective to get the idea out. Sometimes directors … are so deeply embedded in their ideas it actually takes someone else to finish it up. I would go so far as to argue that a lot of live-action films would be better off with that same process. We’ve been around long enough to know [the production process] will never be smooth, but getting this process smooth is not our goal; our goal is to make the movie great.”
So Catmull wasn’t very specific on the reason Peterson is being replaced. It is worrisome though, as Brenda Chapman was taken out of the director’s chair for BRAVE too, and I think that was one of the big reasons it felt so clunky and is one of the worst reviewed Pixar films to date. Plus, at least she was taken off almost two years before BRAVE was released. THE GOOD DINOSAUR has a planned release date of May 30, 2014 so it is deep into production and they are going to have to rush if they change anything substantially.
Pixar now have a handful of people working on THE GOOD DINOSAUR, in an attempt to reach that date. Those include Pixar greats, John Lasseter, Lee Unkrich,, the man they replaced Brenda Chapman on BRAVE with, Mark Andrews, and the co-director, Pete Sohn, who has been a part of the production from the beginning. Lots of chefs in the kitchen as the saying goes and I hope it won’t have a negative effect on the film’s quality.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 102 total posts 25 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 507 total posts 10 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 13 total posts 7 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 263 total posts 7 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 21 total posts 3 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 332 total posts 3 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 10 total posts 2 posts