Detroit to be used as both Gotham and Metropolis in the upcoming BATMAN/SUPERMAN film!!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
Last week, our friends over at Latino-Review first reported that the MAN OF STEEL sequel (or BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN or WORLD’S FINEST) would be filming in Detroit, Michigan and today that was confirmed. Superhero Hype has the official press release announcing the news:
The Michigan Film Office announced today that the next DC Entertainment Super Hero movie from Warner Bros. Pictures has been approved for a film incentive from the state.
The film, from director Zack Snyder, brings together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Superman and Batman—for the first time on the big screen. Production on the new film is expected to begin in metro Detroit and throughout Michigan sometime in the first quarter of 2014. Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who is writing the screenplay. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing the film, which will star Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.
“This project will further strengthen the reputation of Michigan and metro Detroit as a premier film destination,” said Margaret O’Riley, director of the Michigan Film Office. “We look forward to the spotlight shining on our incredibly talented workforce and the businesses that support our film industry here in Michigan.”
“Detroit is a great example of a quintessential American city, and I know it will make the perfect backdrop for our movie,” stated filmmaker Zack Snyder. “Detroit and the entire state of Michigan have been fantastic collaborators, and we are looking forward to working together on this film.”
The as-yet-untitled feature film was awarded an incentive of $35 million on $131 million of projected in-state expenditures. The production is expected to hire 406 Michigan workers, with a full time equivalent of 426 jobs, plus an additional 6,000 man/days of extra work. The production anticipates using approximately 500 local Michigan vendors during the course of production and spending $5.1 million on local hotels, as well as an additional $3.5 million in out-of-town cast and crew per diem payments that will be spent in the local economy but which fall outside of the incentive program.
The incentive funding for the project will be allocated out of the Fiscal Year 2014 budget. However, any funding remaining from the budget at the end of the current fiscal year will be directed to offset the full incentive amount for this project.
The most interesting thing here is that they are apparently planning on using Detroit, Michigan for both Gotham and Metropolis. Not surprising, is that Michigan is offering about $35 million in tax breaks to Warner Bros to film there. TRANSFORMERS 4 is currently filming there and Detroit needs all the income and jobs it can get right now.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 127 total posts 47 posts
- Trailer for LEGENDS OF OZ: DOROTHY'S RETURN! -- 96 total posts 22 posts
- Ohmygod Ohmygod, you guys! The Godzilla trailer! -- 572 total posts 15 posts
- WORLD WAR Z 2 is a go and Paramount has found a director to helm the sequel. -- 84 total posts 13 posts
- Jason Momoa to potentially play Doomsday in the upcoming BATMAN/SUPERMAN film!?!? -- 546 total posts 12 posts
- ‘That Seat Is Taken!!’ The Return Of AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ANARCHY, MOONSHINERS & INCOME Finales!! Galactic Pioneers On FUTURESCAPE!! New TROPHY, AWKWARD, STORAGE, NCIS, LOSER, VOICE, FIRE, TOSH!! Tom Hanks On KIMMEL!! Michelle Dockery On FALLON!! Lizzy Caplan On CHELSEA!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 51 total posts 10 posts
- The Trailer For The Wachowskis' JUPITER ASCENDING! -- 318 total posts 8 posts
- Ben Whishaw to Play Freddie Mercury! Dexter Fletcher on Board to Direct! -- 94 total posts 6 posts
- A sequel to JACK REACHER is on the way! -- 199 total posts 6 posts
- Nordling Recaps BNAT 15! -- 194 total posts 5 posts