Richard Linklater's Epic Project, BOYHOOD To Be Released Next Year!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
It looks like we could be seeing Richard Linklater's long-gestating project BOYHOOD as early as next year - according to Ethan Hawke, at least. In a recent interview with The Huffington Post, Hawke stated that he has recently finished filming his role in the film, and that production should wrap later this fall, with the film hopefully playing "Sundance or Cannes or Berlin or something next year.”
BOYHOOD is an incredibly ambitious project that Linklater has been working on since 2002. It chronicles the life of a boy from age 6 through his high school graduation. The really cool thing about the project is that the boy is played by the same actor (Ellar Salmon) the entire time. Filming has been sporadic, picking up occasionally here and there over the past eleven years. Hawke plays the boy's stepfather, and Patricia Arquette costars as the boy's mother.
Says Hawke about the film,
...this is about growing up and the little moments that define our identity that aren't about your bar mitzvah or your first time you had sex. There are these signposts that are supposed to be meaningful -- prom, or something -- that aren't really meaningful. The movie is going to be -- I don't know what people are going to make out of it -- but I do know it's the damned most original thing I've ever been a part of.
In 2002 when it started, the parents are going though a divorce and it opens with the mom -- and you don't see me. And then I come for a weekend visit the next year. The first scene I did was with a 7-year-old boy ... and I take this 7-year-old boy bowling -- and I'm chain smoking in a bowling alley, which was legal then. And I finished yesterday and I'm 42 years old -- I was 33 when I did my first scene -- he's 19. He's a grown man! He's got crazy ear rings and he's taller than me and he's intimidating. Just acting in the movie felt like nothing I've ever done.
While similar projects have been made in the past (the UP documentary series, for example), none of them have been a work of fiction, like this one. A film where the life of the character and life of the actor are so intertwined. It sounds fascinating, and I am really looking forward to finally being able to see it.
What do you guys think?
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 168 total posts 8 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 52 total posts 3 posts
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 498 total posts 2 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 128 total posts 2 posts
- Trailer for IF I STAY, Starring Chloe Grace Moretz! -- 57 total posts 2 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 31 total posts 1 post