Comedienne Amy Schumer to get the Apatow treatment by writing and starring in her own movie!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Deadline has reported that Amy Schumer will be following the footsteps of Kristen Wiig, Seth Rogen, Steve Carell, and others, and will be getting her own Judd Apatow-produced star vehicle for Universal. Apatow is helping her write the script, as he did for Wiig and BRIDESMAIDS, but there's no word yet as to the premise or the character Schumer will be playing. If it is anything like her stand-up persona, she'll probably be a confident, slightly-condescending lady with a sense of deadly honesty about certain hangups and a frightened guardedness about others.
Amy Schumer has shown a more vicious side on the roasts she's appeared on, her standup material, and her recent hit Comedy Central show INSIDE AMY SCHUMER than her fellow Apatow-ers are usually known for. While the Apatow movies are usually defined by "frat-boy" humor or, in the case of BRIDESMAIDS and THIS IS 40, a more vaguely sweet, melancholic look at life/aging, Schumer usually goes for the jugular in her comedy. She'll casually toss out jokes about rape, genocide, anorexia, and racism, doing it in such a way that not only do you laugh, but you don't find her mean-spirited for her efforts. It's apparent watching her work that she seeks a kind of catharsis with her ribald humor that many of her female (and male) contemporaries just aren't courageous enough to attempt. If she can translate that fearlessness, honesty, and aversion to schmaltz that she's exhibited as a stand-up, I could see her easily becoming a breakout star, as long as Apatow doesn't attempt to soften up her image in her first starring role. And I don't think it's out of line to throw out the idea for them to get comedienne-friendly Paul Feig to try and work his Wiig/Melissa McCarthy magic as the director.
Fingers crossed that Schumer writes in a role for ex-boyfriend (and fellow ribald comic) Anthony Jeselnik!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 205 total posts 140 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 62 total posts 62 posts
- Ridley Scott Says The BLADE RUNNER Sequel Is Written And It’s… -- 408 total posts 52 posts
- Mike Epps Is Lee Daniels's Richard Pryor! -- 97 total posts 36 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 261 total posts 32 posts
- Fox To Remake LAURA With A Screenplay By James Ellroy! -- 40 total posts 19 posts
- Copernicus interviews Andy Weir, author of THE MARTIAN -- Ridley Scott's next film! -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- Lionsgate to bring us Arnold Schwarzenegger vs. zombies in MAGGIE come early 2015! -- 199 total posts 16 posts
- A Trailer And Poster For THE PYRAMID, Produced By Alexandre Aja!! -- 78 total posts 8 posts
- A Newish Spot For David Fincher’s GONE GIRL Is Now Online!! -- 56 total posts 6 posts