300 meets 2012 in this trailer for Paul W.S. Anderson's POMPEII!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Yesterday, we got our first look at Paul W.S. Anderson's POMPEII via that shot of ripped Kit Harrington looking quite ready to throw down. Now, courtesy of Yahoo, we get the first trailer for the film. After a long prologue, we get quick glimpses of Harrington and Emily Browning, as his love interest, before fire and brimstone comes down from the sky in a way that would make Ray Stantz need a breath. My guess is that in the final film, their love story will also be abruptly halted by the sudden, unexpected eruption by a neighboring volcano. Just throwing it out there.
Reading about Pompeii as a kid would give me nightmares about being frozen in ash for eons, so that opening minute or so of this trailer got my attention right good. It was smart for Sony's marketing to tap into people's own personal ideas of the eruption before tossing their new story into the mix. While that gladiator scene, which I believe ties into that pic of Harrington, screams 300, the disaster-movie stuff looks epic, well-realized, and terrifying. That last shot of Vesuvious spurting lava and volcanic ash is as strong a money shot as any of Emmerich's big, bad Summer blockbusters has ever had. Anderson is very hit or miss with me (like everyone else, I think he peaked with MORTAL KOMBAT, although I have a soft spot for EVENT HORIZON, a couple of the RESIDENT EVILs, and even DEATH RACE), but this looks like a good use of his talents for large-scale, slow-motion spectacle.
And how can you hate a trailer that slips Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje into its maybe 30 seconds of human-centric footage? You'd think they'd find time for Keifer Sutherland or Carrie-Anne Moss before they'd throw his face out there for this thing. Mr. Eko's looking as badass as ever, which can only be a positive.
Plus, doesn't everyone love Jon Snow?
POMPEII will melt your face off on February 21st, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 335 total posts 335 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 212 total posts 163 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 143 total posts 143 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 298 total posts 138 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 267 total posts 108 posts
- The first trailer for Clint Eastwood's JERSEY BOYS is here! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 92 total posts 62 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 102 total posts 57 posts
- Here’s A Poster And Trailer For THE ROVER - Guy Pearce In A Post Apocalyptic Hell Down Under!! -- 47 total posts 47 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 163 total posts 44 posts