300 meets 2012 in this trailer for Paul W.S. Anderson's POMPEII!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Yesterday, we got our first look at Paul W.S. Anderson's POMPEII via that shot of ripped Kit Harrington looking quite ready to throw down. Now, courtesy of Yahoo, we get the first trailer for the film. After a long prologue, we get quick glimpses of Harrington and Emily Browning, as his love interest, before fire and brimstone comes down from the sky in a way that would make Ray Stantz need a breath. My guess is that in the final film, their love story will also be abruptly halted by the sudden, unexpected eruption by a neighboring volcano. Just throwing it out there.
Reading about Pompeii as a kid would give me nightmares about being frozen in ash for eons, so that opening minute or so of this trailer got my attention right good. It was smart for Sony's marketing to tap into people's own personal ideas of the eruption before tossing their new story into the mix. While that gladiator scene, which I believe ties into that pic of Harrington, screams 300, the disaster-movie stuff looks epic, well-realized, and terrifying. That last shot of Vesuvious spurting lava and volcanic ash is as strong a money shot as any of Emmerich's big, bad Summer blockbusters has ever had. Anderson is very hit or miss with me (like everyone else, I think he peaked with MORTAL KOMBAT, although I have a soft spot for EVENT HORIZON, a couple of the RESIDENT EVILs, and even DEATH RACE), but this looks like a good use of his talents for large-scale, slow-motion spectacle.
And how can you hate a trailer that slips Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje into its maybe 30 seconds of human-centric footage? You'd think they'd find time for Keifer Sutherland or Carrie-Anne Moss before they'd throw his face out there for this thing. Mr. Eko's looking as badass as ever, which can only be a positive.
Plus, doesn't everyone love Jon Snow?
POMPEII will melt your face off on February 21st, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 167 total posts 11 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 142 total posts 5 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 197 total posts 4 posts
- CBS, The Only Network Without A Superhero Show, Just Ordered To Series Berlanti’s SUPERGIRL!! -- 49 total posts 3 posts
- Papa Vinyard talks with Rose McGowan about her first project as a director and the DAWN Film Festival she's curating this week in downtown Los Angeles! -- 14 total posts 3 posts
- Capone says THE MAZE RUNNER dares to be different, streamlined in a sea of young-adult science fiction offerings!!! -- 14 total posts 2 posts
- Is FARGO's Noah Hawley writing one of the Universal monster flicks?? -- 26 total posts 2 posts
- Capone says Kevin Smith's wonderfully grotesque TUSK falters when it tries too hard to be funny!!! -- 43 total posts 2 posts
- Capone would rather not leave you watching THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU!!! -- 15 total posts 1 post
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 164 total posts 1 post