300 meets 2012 in this trailer for Paul W.S. Anderson's POMPEII!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Yesterday, we got our first look at Paul W.S. Anderson's POMPEII via that shot of ripped Kit Harrington looking quite ready to throw down. Now, courtesy of Yahoo, we get the first trailer for the film. After a long prologue, we get quick glimpses of Harrington and Emily Browning, as his love interest, before fire and brimstone comes down from the sky in a way that would make Ray Stantz need a breath. My guess is that in the final film, their love story will also be abruptly halted by the sudden, unexpected eruption by a neighboring volcano. Just throwing it out there.
Reading about Pompeii as a kid would give me nightmares about being frozen in ash for eons, so that opening minute or so of this trailer got my attention right good. It was smart for Sony's marketing to tap into people's own personal ideas of the eruption before tossing their new story into the mix. While that gladiator scene, which I believe ties into that pic of Harrington, screams 300, the disaster-movie stuff looks epic, well-realized, and terrifying. That last shot of Vesuvious spurting lava and volcanic ash is as strong a money shot as any of Emmerich's big, bad Summer blockbusters has ever had. Anderson is very hit or miss with me (like everyone else, I think he peaked with MORTAL KOMBAT, although I have a soft spot for EVENT HORIZON, a couple of the RESIDENT EVILs, and even DEATH RACE), but this looks like a good use of his talents for large-scale, slow-motion spectacle.
And how can you hate a trailer that slips Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje into its maybe 30 seconds of human-centric footage? You'd think they'd find time for Keifer Sutherland or Carrie-Anne Moss before they'd throw his face out there for this thing. Mr. Eko's looking as badass as ever, which can only be a positive.
Plus, doesn't everyone love Jon Snow?
POMPEII will melt your face off on February 21st, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- KILL BILL: THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR to get a limited theatrical release in 2015?! -- 131 total posts 27 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 410 total posts 20 posts
- Who has been offered the directing gig on Legendary's SKULL ISLAND!?! -- 39 total posts 15 posts
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 622 total posts 6 posts
- George R.R. Martin Scales Back HBO Activity To Focus On Completing WINDS OF WINTER!! -- 51 total posts 5 posts
- Learn Which STAR TREK Icon Joins GAME OF THRONES Next Season!! (Hint: Not Nimoy!!) -- 67 total posts 4 posts
- Help Robert Meyer Burnett And Mark A. Altman Kickstart A Series Revisitation Of Their Ode To Geekosity, FREE ENTERPRISE!! -- 5 total posts 4 posts
- A New Tease For DOCTOR WHO Season / Series 8!! -- 109 total posts 3 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 605 total posts 3 posts
- A Nifty Video Tour Of The Warner Bros Museum Commemorates BATMAN’s 75th Anniversary!! -- 80 total posts 3 posts