300 meets 2012 in this trailer for Paul W.S. Anderson's POMPEII!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Yesterday, we got our first look at Paul W.S. Anderson's POMPEII via that shot of ripped Kit Harrington looking quite ready to throw down. Now, courtesy of Yahoo, we get the first trailer for the film. After a long prologue, we get quick glimpses of Harrington and Emily Browning, as his love interest, before fire and brimstone comes down from the sky in a way that would make Ray Stantz need a breath. My guess is that in the final film, their love story will also be abruptly halted by the sudden, unexpected eruption by a neighboring volcano. Just throwing it out there.
Reading about Pompeii as a kid would give me nightmares about being frozen in ash for eons, so that opening minute or so of this trailer got my attention right good. It was smart for Sony's marketing to tap into people's own personal ideas of the eruption before tossing their new story into the mix. While that gladiator scene, which I believe ties into that pic of Harrington, screams 300, the disaster-movie stuff looks epic, well-realized, and terrifying. That last shot of Vesuvious spurting lava and volcanic ash is as strong a money shot as any of Emmerich's big, bad Summer blockbusters has ever had. Anderson is very hit or miss with me (like everyone else, I think he peaked with MORTAL KOMBAT, although I have a soft spot for EVENT HORIZON, a couple of the RESIDENT EVILs, and even DEATH RACE), but this looks like a good use of his talents for large-scale, slow-motion spectacle.
And how can you hate a trailer that slips Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje into its maybe 30 seconds of human-centric footage? You'd think they'd find time for Keifer Sutherland or Carrie-Anne Moss before they'd throw his face out there for this thing. Mr. Eko's looking as badass as ever, which can only be a positive.
Plus, doesn't everyone love Jon Snow?
POMPEII will melt your face off on February 21st, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 148 total posts 18 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 352 total posts 15 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 82 total posts 14 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 42 total posts 13 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 20 total posts 12 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 19 total posts 10 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 111 total posts 10 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 30 total posts 8 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 71 total posts 7 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 13 total posts 6 posts