Wendy, you got a big surprise coming to you. Go check out The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day and you'll see what I mean. Go check it out!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
I want to start out today's column by giving all you regular readers a hand. The talkback for the last image, from Bogart's Dark Passage, really bowled me over. It was a real film discussion where everybody was excitedly sharing their childhood joys of discovering classic films and giving enthusiastic advice on movies to seek out. There was some smart-ass in there, but good natured smart-ass. It was a refreshing read. I wish much of the site's talkback would be as civil and geeky as they regularly are for this column. So, thank you all for sharing your unbridled movie geekery.
Today's image is from Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of Stephen King's The Shining. I've been going through a whole lot of old movie magazines recently (thanks to a generous donation from my buddy Matthew Kiernan-@HQ10 on Twitter-) and the amount of bile spewed on The Shining from supposedly big movie fan rags upon release is baffling. I mean, I knew it wasn't well-received, but actually reading these reviews and pre-release hit-pieces on the movie takes it to a whole other level.
I'm a big Stephen King fan and love the novel to death. I also love Kubrick's film. It's not the book, but to deny that it's a masterfully made horror film that gets under your skin with the very first frame and stays there for 2 hours just seems willfully ignorant to me.
Today's pic is a continuity polaroid taken during the filming of the sequence in which Jack Torrance is locked up in the food pantry. You can see Stanley hanging with Jack and the mess of peanut butter, crackers and oreos that he's been snacking on while incarcerated. This shot came from the great Shining fan site The Overlook Hotel, which is run by Toy Story 3 director Lee Unkrich. Enjoy!
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tomorrow’s behind the scenes pic is killin' me, Smalls!
I've got a lot of maintenance work to do on the previous BTS articles, but you can visit two pages worth of images (beware of some broken links thanks to the last server shift): Click here for Page One and Click here for Page Two!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 173 total posts 173 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 438 total posts 101 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 83 total posts 83 posts
- Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 174 total posts 44 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 73 total posts 44 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 51 total posts 43 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 44 total posts 35 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 38 total posts 31 posts
- Mowgli to have friends like Scarlett Johansson and Lupita Nyong'o in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 65 total posts 29 posts