The Behind the Scenes Pics of the Day has always valued its lifelessness.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Return to Oz straight up fucked my shit up when I was a kid. That movie was made in Disney's dark period as they were wandering lost in the wilderness, their always trustworthy animated films misfiring and their business end in confusion.
Naturally that means I'm fascinated about the films of this era now. I miss dark Disney, even the bizarre, train-wrecky Black Cauldron.
But there's nothing more fucked up than Return to Oz. Not Black Hole, not Something Wicked This Way Comes... nothing. Wheelers, the Nome King, that goddamn head-switching witch that screams “Dorothy Gaaaaaaaaaalllleeee” like a messed up horror movie villain.
I legit wonder what Walt Disney would think of the movie. He had been trying to make a Wizard of Oz sequel since the '50s and over the decades and past his death that project evolved to Return to Oz. I bet he'd hate it, but even though it scarred me (maybe because it did) I love the movie.
Below you're going to see the creepy Nome King, which on his own would have been the childhood destroying character in any other movie and is just yet another nightmare unleashed by Return to Oz, being brought to life via the miracle of stop motion. Enjoy!
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tomorrow’s behind the scenes pic finishes out the run of Disney images with one that the studio is more comfortable forgetting.
I've got a lot of maintenance work to do on the previous BTS articles, but you can visit two pages worth of images (beware of some broken links thanks to the last server shift): Click here for Page One and Click here for Page Two!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 147 total posts 47 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 158 total posts 21 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 75 total posts 19 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 108 total posts 17 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 202 total posts 7 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 34 total posts 6 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 417 total posts 6 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 164 total posts 5 posts
- Timur Bekmambetov Finds His Ben-Hur For, Well, BEN-HUR!! -- 294 total posts 4 posts
- Fox, Home Of GOTHAM, Makes Pilot Commitment To Project Based On DC Comics’ LUCIFER!! -- 112 total posts 3 posts