The Behind the Scenes Pics of the Day has always valued its lifelessness.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Return to Oz straight up fucked my shit up when I was a kid. That movie was made in Disney's dark period as they were wandering lost in the wilderness, their always trustworthy animated films misfiring and their business end in confusion.
Naturally that means I'm fascinated about the films of this era now. I miss dark Disney, even the bizarre, train-wrecky Black Cauldron.
But there's nothing more fucked up than Return to Oz. Not Black Hole, not Something Wicked This Way Comes... nothing. Wheelers, the Nome King, that goddamn head-switching witch that screams “Dorothy Gaaaaaaaaaalllleeee” like a messed up horror movie villain.
I legit wonder what Walt Disney would think of the movie. He had been trying to make a Wizard of Oz sequel since the '50s and over the decades and past his death that project evolved to Return to Oz. I bet he'd hate it, but even though it scarred me (maybe because it did) I love the movie.
Below you're going to see the creepy Nome King, which on his own would have been the childhood destroying character in any other movie and is just yet another nightmare unleashed by Return to Oz, being brought to life via the miracle of stop motion. Enjoy!
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tomorrow’s behind the scenes pic finishes out the run of Disney images with one that the studio is more comfortable forgetting.
I've got a lot of maintenance work to do on the previous BTS articles, but you can visit two pages worth of images (beware of some broken links thanks to the last server shift): Click here for Page One and Click here for Page Two!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 394 total posts 138 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 125 total posts 125 posts
- Peter Jackson Says Hobbitses Stalled His TINTIN Sequel - But... -- 109 total posts 109 posts
- First Images from Wally Pfister's TRANSCENDENCE! -- 100 total posts 100 posts
- Here's A Motion Comic Set Up For I, FRANKENSTEIN!! -- 91 total posts 91 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 268 total posts 75 posts
- Butters-centric SOUTH PARK Season Finale!! Final Wednesday SURVIVOR!! The Final CSI, MINDS, ARROW & TOMORROW PEOPLE Of 2013!! New MOB, MODERN, MIDDLE, NASHVILLE, SING OFF, BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Whitford On KIMMEL!! Cumberbatch & Takei On CONAN!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 89 total posts 59 posts
- Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for David Yates' TARZAN! -- 153 total posts 58 posts
- I'd watch Simon Pegg and Monty Python in ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING! -- 103 total posts 57 posts
- Nordling Recaps BNAT 15! -- 278 total posts 43 posts