The Behind the Scenes Pics of the Day has always valued its lifelessness.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Return to Oz straight up fucked my shit up when I was a kid. That movie was made in Disney's dark period as they were wandering lost in the wilderness, their always trustworthy animated films misfiring and their business end in confusion.
Naturally that means I'm fascinated about the films of this era now. I miss dark Disney, even the bizarre, train-wrecky Black Cauldron.
But there's nothing more fucked up than Return to Oz. Not Black Hole, not Something Wicked This Way Comes... nothing. Wheelers, the Nome King, that goddamn head-switching witch that screams “Dorothy Gaaaaaaaaaalllleeee” like a messed up horror movie villain.
I legit wonder what Walt Disney would think of the movie. He had been trying to make a Wizard of Oz sequel since the '50s and over the decades and past his death that project evolved to Return to Oz. I bet he'd hate it, but even though it scarred me (maybe because it did) I love the movie.
Below you're going to see the creepy Nome King, which on his own would have been the childhood destroying character in any other movie and is just yet another nightmare unleashed by Return to Oz, being brought to life via the miracle of stop motion. Enjoy!
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at email@example.com.
Tomorrow’s behind the scenes pic finishes out the run of Disney images with one that the studio is more comfortable forgetting.
I've got a lot of maintenance work to do on the previous BTS articles, but you can visit two pages worth of images (beware of some broken links thanks to the last server shift): Click here for Page One and Click here for Page Two!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 294 total posts 158 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 141 total posts 63 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 270 total posts 55 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 61 total posts 23 posts
- New BATES, BONES, BEAST, BRAIN, BEING, BELIEVE, BITTEN!! BACHELOR & BEAST Finales!! MOTHER, MOLLY, MORTY, MAYNE, KILL, VOICE, DALLAS, SWITCHED, FOSTERS, ROADSHOW, INTELLIGENCE, STARCROSSED, FOLLOWING, WOLF, RAW, & LOST GIRL!! The Return Of THE PEOPLE’S COUCH!! Emily Mortimer On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 315 total posts 14 posts
- Quint thinks Nick Stoller's NEIGHBORS is heartfelt, hysterical and all kinds of messed up! SXSW 2014! -- 10 total posts 10 posts