Neill Blomkamp's CHAPPIE to Shoot This Fall!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
It looks like Sony is gearing up to finance Neill Blomkamp's next project. The new film from the director of DISTRICT 9 and ELYSIUM is called CHAPPIE, and will be based on Blomkamp's short film TETRA VAAL.
From the press release:
Chappie tells the story of a robot imbued with artificial intelligence who is stolen by two local gangsters who want to use him for their own nefarious purposes. The film will star Sharlto Copley as the voice of Chappie, with Ninja and Yolandi Visser, voices of the South African Zef counter-culture movement and members of rap-rave duo Die Antwoord, as the two gangsters.
While I thought that ELYSIUM fell a bit short of the bar that Blomkamp set for himself with the release of DISTRICT 9, he remains a director that I look forward to watching develop. He has a great mind for science fiction, and I am excited to seeing what other stories he can tell. While we don't know a whole lot about CHAPPIE at this moment, from the brief description above, I have hopes that it will lock back onto the characterization and emotional resonance that DISTRICT 9 did so well, but that was lacking in his latest effort. Plus, I LOVE the look of Blomkamp's robots.
Blomkamp will direct the film from a script that he co-wrote with Terri Tatchell. Shooting will begin later this fall.
What do you guys think?
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 302 total posts 302 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 194 total posts 194 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 366 total posts 139 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 294 total posts 110 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 320 total posts 74 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 126 total posts 73 posts
- Patrick Wilson drops out of ANT-MAN!! -- 67 total posts 67 posts