Might The Age Of The Jet Pack Finally Be Upon Us??
This isn’t exactly ‘movie news’ per se, but every once in a while we post about something here on AICN which is inescapably and undoubtedly ‘Geeky‘ all the same. As this tangentially relates (hehehe - he said ‘tan genitals’) to titles like THE ROCKETEER...
...the 70s television series ARK II...
...and COMMANDO CODY back in the 1950s...
..and an array of other examples (Boba Fett?)...it seemed fitting to bring it up here.
A developer in New Zealand has received permits which will allow the entity to test fly...JET PACKS. You can find video of the device and learn more about it HERE.
Not the world’s sexiest machine (perhaps The Powers That Be will think to consult magazine covers like this one before pushing their product to far into the market?)...
...although I’m wondering if its comparative inelegance may be in some part dictated by practical and engineering necessities.
I also note that the jet pack in the video...lands with a parachute instead of coming down to the ground like, say, that dude in ARK II. My six year old would probably love this - but this feature may be a tad dissuasive to many buyers, or anyone with their head screwed on right. Presumably that’s just a demonstration reel anyway.
With a price point of $150K-$250K, it’s unlikely too many ‘Average Joes’ are going to hopping onto the jetback bandwagon anytime soon, although developers are quick to point out that simpler and less costly models are being targeted.
Will they ever become ‘mainstream’ instead of being regarded as some sort of fringe, JETSONS gag? If I had to bet, I’d say no - they’ll never grow to be anything more than a nifty, pricey boy-toy gimmick.
But it’s hard, if not impossible, for folks like us to ask ‘What if...?’ After all, as Red Foreman pointdd out so bittersweetly in THAT 70s SHOW, "They promised us jet packs..."
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 164 total posts 36 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 122 total posts 13 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 115 total posts 5 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 170 total posts 5 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 162 total posts 3 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- AICN Tabletop: Abstruse Reports On GenCon 2014! -- 14 total posts 2 posts
- BIG BROTHER Eviction Nine!! RECTIFY & ROOKIE BLUE Finales!! New GARFUNKLE, JESUS, NAKED, QUEST, WORST, MARRIED, MYTHBUSTERS, RUSH, RECTIFY, DOOMSDAY, DEFIANCE, SWEDEN, SATISFACTION, ENGELS, GAME, BOO BOO, BAD, BIBLE!! Bunnymen On LETTERMAN!! Rehearsals On CONAN!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 18 total posts 2 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 163 total posts 2 posts
- Jeremy Receives His Marching Orders From Combat Carl Weathers For TOY STORY OF TERROR! -- 25 total posts 1 post