Mel Gibson and (surprise) Antonio Banderas OFFICIALLY confirmed for EXPENDABLES 3!!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Well…we saw half of this coming. We have word from various outlets, including The Wrap and Entertainment Weekly, that Mel Gibson and Antonio Banderas are 100% confirmed to be a part of Sly Stallone's next EXPENDABLES outing. Mel Gibson was heavily rumored to have been signed on as the villain for a while now, but this is the first I'm hearing of Banderas' involvement. He had been in talks to resume his Miguel Bain/Robert Rath ASSASSINS interplay on the last go-around (probably for Jean Vilain, right?), but for whatever reason, backed off until the second sequel. As to who he's playing, no clue yet, but my fingers are crossed that he's not another villain of the week, and that he gets to play around with the dream team of badasses more than once.
While the casual observer may not be aware of Banderas' action-movie cred, knowing him mostly from stuff like his so-so ZORRO movies and PUSS-IN-BOOTS (or even his Almodovar work), but I'd proclaim his work in DESPERADO to more than qualify him for this roster. That flick, which maybe stands alongside FROM DUSK TILL DAWN as my favorite of Robert Rodriguez's filmography, turned EL MARIACHI into a double-fisted gunslinger in the Chow Yun-Fat mold, a task that Banderas proved to be wholly capable of. His character was unique in that he was mentally (his love interest was killed right in front of him) and physically (the murderer shot off his guitar hand) vulnerable, and ended up needing stitches and recuperating time after each gun battle. It'd be cool to see someone more comfortable with losing their shit in the heat of battle fighting alongside the oh-so-macho crew that Sly rolls with on these flicks.
And obviously, Mel as the villain is excellent casting. With these guys, Ford, and whoever else Sly gets to sign on, I don't think anyone's missing Bruce Willy too badly out there, am I right?
EXP3NDABLES are gonna nail BRAVEHEART's ass to the wall on August 15th, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 274 total posts 138 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 256 total posts 41 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 102 total posts 24 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 55 total posts 17 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 312 total posts 11 posts
- Quint thinks Nick Stoller's NEIGHBORS is heartfelt, hysterical and all kinds of messed up! SXSW 2014! -- 9 total posts 9 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 40 total posts 9 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 7 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 7 total posts 7 posts