Live in Chicago? Capone has seats for an early screening of Wong Kar Wai's THE GRANDMASTER, with star Tony Leung Q&A!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
I don't usually do this, but before I go on, watch this if you haven't seen it already:
Any time we get a new film stateside from master director Wong Kar Wai, featuring fight choreography from Yuen Woo-ping, it's cause for celebration. But the other factor in the equation of THE GRANDMASATER--the latest telling of martial arts teacher Ip Man (or Yip Man, best known in this country for being Bruce Lee's trainer)--is that it stars Wong Kar Wai's favorite actor, the great Tony Leung, playing the great instructor. Leung, of course has been around for decades, first coming onto my radar in early John Woo classics like BULLET TO THE HEAD and HARD BOILED (and then later in his epic, two-part RED CLIFF).
In the mid-1990s, Leung began a long and powerful career acting in nearly every Wong Kar Wai film beginning with CHUNGKING EXPRESS and continuing on with ASHES OF TIME, HAPPY TOGETHER, IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, 2046, and now THE GRANDMASTER. He's also starred in Ang Lee's LUST, CAUTION; two of the three INFERNAL AFFAIRS films (which were adapted into the Scorsese film THE DEPARTED); and director Zhang Yimou's HERO, opposite Jet Li. Trust me, the filmography of this great Hong Kong actor goes on and on. And now Tony Leung is coming to Chicago for a Q&A screening of THE GRANDMASTER, and I have a limited number of tickets to give away. Have I got your attention now?
THE GRANDMASTER screening with Tony Leung Q&A takes place on Wednesday, August 14 at 7:00pm at the theater in downtown Chicago (the exact location will only be given to contest winners). Here's how to win…
To win a pair of tickets (or just one, if that's all you want), send me an email at GrandmasterChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "Once Upon A Time in Kung Fu" (exactly like that). In the body of the email, I need your full Name, whether or not you're bringing a CONFIRMED Guest (each winner may bring ONE confirmed guest--if I think you gave your +1 to someone trolling for free tickets at the theater, you won't get in), and the answer to the following question: "What is your favorite Tony Leung movie, and why?" I need a film title and a detailed reason for your choice. I'm lookng for true fans of Hong Kong movies in general and Leung movies specifically, so if you don't know both, you shouldn't enter. Keep your responses BRIEF--no more than 75 words (no matter how tempted you are to go over the limit). Best answers win, and you'll hear from me very soon if you won.
Because this is not an exclusive Ain't It Cool News event, it is overbooked to guarantee a full house for our guest. Winners' seats will be held until 15 minutes before showtime (meaning 6:45pm), at which point any empty seats in our rows will be given away. So you should arrive early to make sure you get in and get a good seat. If you can't arrive early, don't enter this contest. If there's even the slightest chance you or your guest will have to back out of attending or arrive late if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter. And the 24-hour-notice-to-cancel rule is done. If you win and don't show up, the Black List is your new best friend.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to the The Weinstein Company for giving us this very cool screening and bringing Tony Leung to Chicago.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- We have the first trailer for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 right here and it hints towards some pretty exciting things!! -- 489 total posts 489 posts
- So The MAN OF STEEL Sequel Has (At Least) A Third Superhero In It... -- 690 total posts 149 posts
- Beatles' manager Brian Epstein to get his own flick, entitled THE FIFTH BEATLE! -- 106 total posts 79 posts
- Universal Releases A Nice Tribute To Paul Walker... -- 74 total posts 74 posts
- LIFE OF PI Scribe David Magee to Pen New NARNIA Film! -- 50 total posts 50 posts
- Joe Dante's Making A New Movie Called BURYING THE EX And You Can Be A Part Of It! -- 52 total posts 47 posts
- Trailer and Release Date for NURSE 3D! -- 46 total posts 46 posts
- WARCRAFT is getting its cast together! Adds Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper, Toby Kebbell, and more! -- 88 total posts 45 posts
- Our first clip from the VERONICA MARS movie! Plus, a release date!! -- 66 total posts 42 posts
- This New HOBBIT Production Diary Shows Us Laketown, Smaug Bits, And Table Tennis Playing Middle Earthers!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts