RUMOR: Jon M. Chu to STEP UP to direct STAR TREK 3?!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
We've been wondering whether J.J. Abrams was going to return as the director of STAR TREK 3, or that his higher-priority gig on STAR WARS was going to take him out of the running. Well, we've heard a bunch of other names bandied around to replace him, and Latino Review has put up the rumor that G.I. JOE: RETALIATION director Jon M. Chu is Paramount's frontrunner.
It's an interesting choice, kind of a deviation from sci-fi fan favorites like Brad Bird or Joe Cornish, but it makes sense. He turned G.I. JOE from an embarrassing non-starter of a franchise into a hot, viable commodity (with a little help from The Rock and Bruce Willis), and, after the fanboy backlash on the last entry, I'll bet Paramount is looking for a similar jolt of energy into this series as well. While he has shown no evidence at all that he can replicate the slow-burn intelligence that defined STAR TREK for decades (in the pre-J.J. era), RETALIATION (and, from what I've heard, his STEP UP entries) showed that Chu has a way with highly-kinetic action on a PG-13 level. Given that this TREK series is highly-dependent on massive set pieces, hiring someone who can throw them at the audiences faster than they can question their relevance would presumably be the way to go.
We'll see the level of legitimacy in this rumor soon enough, I'd imagine, but it doesn't seem out of the question. Either way, I don't find myself being that opposed to this potential hire at all. Even though I liked INTO DARKNESS more than many, I still think there was an odd split between the more heavy thematic content and the emphasis on splashy, FX-dependent mayhem, and Chu streamlining one aspect over the other, even if it is the action and not the smarts, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Hopefully, he can finally bring an entry that is up to par with the best of the original series of TOS TREK movies.
STAR TREK 3 will beam up sometime in 2016 (probably the Summer).
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Nordling Reviews THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL! -- 79 total posts 77 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- Idris Elba to voice a great, big, bloody Bengal tiger by the name of Shere Khan in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 83 total posts 57 posts
- From The Director Of GRAVITY!! The First Two Minutes Of NBC And Bad Robot’s BELIEVE!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- Sam Raimi to produce an adaptation of THE LAST OF US!!! -- 145 total posts 41 posts
- "Just another Saturday night" Marv and company are back in the first trailer for SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR!! -- 182 total posts 40 posts
- Jeremy Returns With More Tales From The CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Set! -- 65 total posts 39 posts
- A newly remastered 4K print of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is coming just in time for its 40th anniversary!! -- 61 total posts 36 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- Merrick Stands Up In The Milky Way To Be Pummeled By The Greatness Of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY!! -- 32 total posts 32 posts