I don’t know… The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day is just making it up as it goes.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with the glorious return of the Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day column! Rejoice one and all, for the column to top all columns in geek history has returned!
Okay, that might be overstating things a tad bit, but I love this column dearly and while I’ve been on a BTS vacation the itch to post and talk about these various images has only grown in strength.
If we’re going to return, I figured we’d go with one of my favorite images from the many BTS files I have stored up. I have very vivid memories of watching the fist-fight scene between Indiana Jones and the bald hulking Nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark. As a child something about the redness of the blood on both Indy’s face and the Nazi’s as the two men beat the shit out of each other really hit me deep down. I was more disturbed by that than Mola Ram ripping out a dude’s heart for some reason.
I guess it has something to do with how it’s not at all an atmospherically shot. The fight happens in harsh desert daylight… and of course it ends with a huge splash of red… my young mind imagining that Nazi brute getting shredded by the propeller, which is so much worse than whatever Spielberg could have filmed.
So, it’s not only a great moment in a great film, that fight scene put its mark on me at an impressionable age, so when I dug up this photo it went right into my favorites folder!
Here we have Steven Spielberg in mock battle with Pat Roach in what I’m guessing is during the blocking of the fight scene. If I’m not mistaken this image comes from J.W. Rinzler’s great The Complete Making of Indiana Jones book. Click on that to buy it if you like good making of books, by the way. Rinzler always knocks it out of the park… can’t wait for his Making of Return of the Jedi book coming out later this year!
Anyway, enjoy the shot and welcome back to the BTS column!
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tomorrow’s BTS pic is quite mean.
I’ve got a lot of maintenance work to do on the previous BTS articles, but you can visit two pages worth of images (beware of some broken links thanks to the last server shift): Click here to visit Page One and Click here to visit Page Two
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone loved the pure joy of discovering the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!!! -- 165 total posts 165 posts
- Trailer for MUDBLOODS - Documentary About Real Life Muggle Quidditch Players! -- 137 total posts 40 posts
- International BIRDMAN Trailer Is Here!!! -- 163 total posts 34 posts
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 294 total posts 29 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 452 total posts 23 posts
- Disney Taking The Ol' Bait-And-Switch Route With Teaser For INTO THE WOODS! -- 117 total posts 20 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 306 total posts 19 posts
- Rest In Peace Makeup Legend Dick Smith -- 113 total posts 16 posts
- Capone dances the line between loving Chadwick Boseman as James Brown and frustration with the rest of GET ON UP!!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 763 total posts 10 posts