Josh Gad To Be Larry Charles's KINISON!
We will never see the likes of Sam Kinison again. When he exploded onto the stand-up scene in 1984 (most notably via Rodney Dangerfield's YOUNG COMEDIANS SPECIAL), the wayward Pentecostal preacher unleashed a righteous fury that was as hilarious as it was frightening. A year later, he spewed his vitriol in Dangerfield's BACK TO SCHOOL as a history professor who really seems to care ("about what I have no idea"). Though Kinison never broke through as a big-screen presence, he was larger than life on the stand-up circuit: a howling force of nature with an insatiable appetite for celebrity, alcohol and drugs. And yet Kinison was stone cold sober on April 10, 1992 when a seventeen-year-old kid drunkenly plowed his Chevy pickup truck head-on into the comic's Trans-Am just outside of Needles, California.
Twenty-one years after Kinison's death, Deadline is reporting that a film based on Kinison's life is finally moving forward with Larry Charles at the helm. As for who could possibly capture the fierce spirit of Hurricane Sam, that little task will fall to Josh Gad, the talented comedic actor best known for his Tony-nominated performance as Elder Cunningham in Parker & Stone's THE BOOK OF MORMON. According to Deadline, the filmmakers are currently looking for actors to play Richard Pryor, Howard Stern and Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker. Though Gad's certainly got his work cut out for him, at least Sam has been gone for two decades; I pity the poor sucker who lands the role of 1980s Stern (who was once set to produce an HBO film based on BROTHER SAM, the bio from which Charles will be working). If he's not perfect in the part, Howard will likely shred the guy.
Rich Wilkes will write the screenplay. His previous credits - AIRHEADS, THE JERKY BOYS and xXx - do not inspire confidence.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check Out Spidey and Electro in the First Clip from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! -- 138 total posts 138 posts
- ‘Nobody’s Interested In Your Texts!!’ President Barack Obama Takes On Zach Galifianakis BETWEEN TWO FERNS!! -- 171 total posts 136 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 255 total posts 124 posts
- Quint has seen Gareth Edwards and Legendary's Godzilla presentation at SXSW! Full on Kaiju badassery! -- 80 total posts 80 posts
- SXSW 2014: Nordling Reviews THE RAID 2: BERANDAL! -- 62 total posts 62 posts
- A New Scene From THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2!! -- 55 total posts 55 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 114 total posts 42 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 84 total posts 25 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 90 total posts 24 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 97 total posts 21 posts