Is LOCAL HERO Icon
Peter Capaldi The New
Doctor In DOCTOR WHO??
The BBC announces who plays the new “Doctor Who” lead in a few hours. He may be a bigger deal to U.K. residents than that prince who shot out of Kate Middleton a couple weeks ago.
And I keep seeing press reports suggesting Peter Capaldi will play the new Doctor.
Capaldi plays “W.H.O. Doctor” in “World War Z.” W.H.O. stands for World Health Organization, and in the movie the W.H.O. is based in Cardiff, Wales, where the “Doctor Who” studios have long been situated.
That's got to be how the rumor got started. Right?
A much less likely explanation is Capaldi knew he was getting the “Who” role so long ago that ”World War Z” director Marc Forster hired Capaldi to embed a bizarre, elaborate "Doctor Who" casting clue in a Paramount tentpole.
Thing is, I love Peter Capaldi, loved him since the first time I saw him chasing around a fabulous mermaid -- and escorting “Animal House” icon Peter Riegert around Scotland -- in 1983’s “Local Hero.” (In “Northern Exposure” terms, Capaldi played the Ed Chigliak to Reigert’s Joel Fleishman. If you’ve never seen Bill Forsyth’s “Local Hero”? Run, don’t walk. Genius!)
Capaldi’s 55 now, but he still seems to possess that childlike, overanimated quality I associate with all but one of the “Who” Doctors. Also? He dropped LSD with TARDIS-loving chat-show host Craig Ferguson a quarter-century ago when they were both in a rock band together.
One can make the weakish argument that Capaldi can't be a Doctor because he already played another role, Caecilius, in the 2008 “Who” episode “The Fires of Pompeii.” But lookie here, Karen Gillan played a soothsayer in that same “Fires of Pompeii” episode two years before she took on the role of Companion Amy Pond! (And, of course, Freema Agyeman played Adeola Oshodi in 2006 before she began playing Adeola’s cousin, Companion Martha Jones, the following year.) So, if anything, Capaldi’s prior association with “Who” actually makes the rumor slightly more plausible, at least to my lizard brain.
Capaldi’s big-screen supporting-player career is heating up – “World War Z” aside, he’s also in the Julian Assange movie with Cumberbatch and “Malificent” with Jolie – but the “Who” gig would mean a lot more screen time and a much steadier paycheck.
Still, I’ll be shocked if we learn Sunday that Capaldi got the gig. But keep in mind also I’m also the guy who was convinced last year’s "Who" season premiere was delayed five months to facilitate a secret 50th-anniversary “Who” movie.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 209 total posts 49 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 90 total posts 41 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 50 total posts 20 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 65 total posts 20 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 175 total posts 16 posts
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 507 total posts 11 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 127 total posts 8 posts
- This nifty teaser for Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO hints at some freaky stuff going on in the Amazon! -- 74 total posts 6 posts
- Trailer for IF I STAY, Starring Chloe Grace Moretz! -- 61 total posts 6 posts
- "Alright boys, it's Howdy-Doody time!" Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard, and Don Johnson do the southern noir thing in this COLD IN JULY trailer! -- 26 total posts 4 posts