THE MAN WHO WASN’T THERE Star Billy Bob Thornton Reunites With The Coen Brothers For FX’s FARGO: THE SERIES!!
I almost forgot “The Man Who Wasn’t There” existed. That was a solid piece of R-rated cinema, but it’s never on HBO and Universal has yet to kick out a Blu-ray.
I’d be much more excited about the FX’s TV “Fargo” were it not being written by Noah Hawley, who earlier created “The Unusuals,” which was awful, and “My Generation,” which was unwatchable.
FX LANDS OSCAR® WINNER BILLY BOB THORNTON FOR LEAD IN FARGO
Thornton to Star as “Lorne Malvo” in the 10-Part Limited Series of the Adaptation of the Classic Award-Winning Feature Film of the Same Title
Limited Series Adapted for Television by Novelist/Writer Noah Hawley
Joel & Ethan Coen, Noah Hawley, Warren Littlefield, and Geyer Kosinski are Executive Producers
FX Productions and MGM Television to Produce 10 Episodes
Production Begins this Fall with the Series Slated to Premiere Spring 2014
BEVERLY HILLS, August 2, 2013 – Academy Award® winning writer/producer and Academy Award and Golden Globe® Award nominated actor Billy Bob Thornton has signed on to star in the FX limited series Fargo, an adaptation of the classic Academy Award winning feature film of the same title by Joel & Ethan Coen, it was announced today by John Landgraf, CEO of FX Networks and FX Productions. Production begins this fall in Canada and the series is slated to premiere next spring on FX.
Thornton will play "Lorne Malvo," a rootless, manipulative man who meets a small town insurance salesman and sets him on a path of destruction.
Thornton won the Academy Award for Outstanding Screenplay for Sling Blade, for which he also was nominated for Best Supporting Actor, and he was also nominated for Best Supporting Actor for A Simple Plan. He has four Golden Globe acting nominations for The Man Who Wasn’t There, A Simple Plan, Bandits, and Bad Santa.
A 10-episode limited series inspired by the film, FX’s Fargo will feature an all-new “true crime” story, with the series following a new case and new characters, all entrenched in the trademark humor, murder and “Minnesota nice” that has made the film an enduring classic. Fargo is written by Noah Hawley. Executive Producers are Joel & Ethan Coen, Warren Littlefield, and Geyer Kosinski. Fargo is produced by FX Productions and MGM Television.
MGM Television will handle worldwide distribution of the series outside of the U.S. and Canada.
Fargo, released in 1996, was nominated for seven Academy Awards® and won for Best Original Screenplay for Joel & Ethan Coen and Best Actress for Frances McDormand. It was named as one of the 100 Greatest American Movies by the American Film Institute. A wildly unique blend of comedy, drama and thriller, the film starred Frances McDormand as a pregnant Minnesota police chief pursuing two bumbling criminals hired by a car salesman to kidnap his wife.
Emmy Award-winning director Adam Bernstein (30 Rock) will direct the premiere hour Fargo. An Emmy-winner for his work on 30 Rock, Adam Bernstein is a veteran television director whose credits also include Breaking Bad, House of Lies, Californication, Nurse Jackie, United States of Tara, Scrubs, Bored to Death and Rescue Me. Bernstein will also serve as executive producer on the premiere episode.
Last year, FX announced that it would be producing miniseries and limited series through FX Productions. The network has had tremendous success with traditional drama series, with most of its dramas running seven seasons. By entering the limited series business, FX can produce dramatic programs that have shorter runs – one, two or three seasons – and offer talented filmmakers more freedom.
FX Productions is also in production on the limited series Wayward Pines for FOX. A limited series from M. Night Shyamalan, Wayward Pines stars Matt Dillon and Carla Gugino. It begins production in August in Vancouver and is slated to premiere in summer of 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 300 total posts 144 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 103 total posts 62 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 53 total posts 16 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 101 total posts 15 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 39 total posts 13 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 276 total posts 6 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 287 total posts 5 posts
- Just How Conjoined Is Sarah Paulson In AHS FREAK SHOW?? See For Yourself!! -- 72 total posts 4 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts