Will The Next Batman Be Older?
According to the Independent, Zack Snyder will be meeting with Frank Miller on the direction that BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN (or vice versa) will take. At Comic-Con, Snyder evoked Miller's classic THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS as an inspiration for the upcoming Bats/Supes movie, and since Snyder and Miller have worked together before, it seems only natural that Snyder would seek Miller's blessing or advice.
Still, I'm concerned about Warner Brothers going straight to an adversarial relationship between the two right off the bat (so to speak). Their relationship, to me, remains one of the most interesting in comics - they share many of the same goals, but are diametrically opposed to each otther's methods in getting there. There's a really good novel by Kevin J. Anderson (writer of the STAR WARS Jedi Academy series, among other works) called ENEMIES AND ALLIES that speculates what it would be like if Batman and Superman met during the Cold War, and it does a great job of accentuating their differences while making them compelling as friends and teammates. It's also a really great explanation on how Bruce Wayne procures himself a bit of kryptonite in case Superman goes bad. I'd much rather have Snyder set up that relationship before having them come to blows.
But according to Batman-On-Film, if their rumor is correct, it certainly appears that Snyder may be leaning towards the Miller iteration of things. Rumor has it that Snyder is looking for older actors to play Bruce Wayne/Batman. Names are being thrown around like Jon Hamm (an obvious choice) or Gerard Butler, but the name that seems to be getting people (including Latino Review's ElMayimbe) excited is Josh Brolin. Brolin's slate seems pretty full, but hey, it's Batman. He's grizzled enough to be believable as an older hero who needs to teach Kal-El a lesson or two. Again, this is rumor and conjecture, but (and I may be mistaken) Superman tends to be cast with unknowns or fresh faced actors. But Batman casting tends to lean towards more established actors. Brolin would certainly fit that bill.
What do you think? Is Brolin (or any of the other 40something actors out there) a good choice? Or is this rumor not credible to you?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 40 total posts 30 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 122 total posts 16 posts
- THE SIGNAL and V/H/S co-director David Bruckner to direct the found footage FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot?! -- 63 total posts 4 posts
- Jaden Smith will dress like a girl to avoid slavery in THE GOOD LORD BIRD! -- 54 total posts 2 posts
- David Fincher wants more money to do his JOBS! -- 167 total posts 2 posts
- Everyone thinks Elizabeth Banks is a hooker in this red-band WALK OF SHAME trailer! -- 27 total posts 1 post
- Leonardo DiCaprio's goin' fur-trapping (grow up, guys) in Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's THE REVENANT!! -- 26 total posts 1 post
- A New Group Shot Of The EXPENDABLES 3 Cast!! -- 52 total posts 1 post