See Robert Redford adrift at sea in this trailer for ALL IS LOST!!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Today, we get our first look at the trailer for the Robert Redford one-man-show, ALL IS LOST, via Yahoo. The flick, which has Redford as a dude whose time at sea gets made very difficult when his boat collides with a massive shipping container, made a splash (wacka wacka!) at this year's Cannes film festival, getting a ton of notices for the legendary actor's central performance. Redford has been appearing in slightly under-the-radar films for a while now (THE COMPANY YOU KEEP, LIONS FOR LAMBS, AN UNFINISHED LIFE), but with this and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, it seems like Sundance is on course to regain some serious public interest over the next year. He's one of our last working movie stars from that late-60's/70's era of film, and it's nice to see him getting into a groove once more, especially one that doesn't involve horse whispering and magical black mentor caddies (I'd be mighty impressed, and even more pleased, if he pulled off another QUIZ SHOW or ORDINARY PEOPLE in the near future).
Aside from what must be a pensive, powerful performance (imagine Daffy Duck saying that), it looks like writer/director J.C. Chandor (MARGIN CALL) and his cinematographer Frank G. DeMarco have also played a large part in the film's appeal, as well. The film looks, sounds, and feels great, from the little bit that we see here. Remember those first snippets of LIFE OF PI we got before any official trailer dropped? I'm way more taken with what we're seeing here than I was with those clips. The look doesn't seem to be overly showy or phonily "magical", but immerses you in the situation and highlights both the overwhelming beauty and terrifying reality of Redford's surroundings. As one who's always had paranoias regarding maritime exploration (admittedly mainly towards the unlikely threat of man-hungry sharks), this film seems like a great cinematic realization of said fears, and I can't wait to feel more of that sense of dread and impending doom I'm getting here when this flick hits this fall.
ALL IS LOST finds its way into theaters on October 18th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who has been offered the directing gig on Legendary's SKULL ISLAND!?! -- 201 total posts 177 posts
- KILL BILL: THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR to get a limited theatrical release in 2015?! -- 245 total posts 141 posts
- 5th Week of July 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: LYNCH - HERZOG - JAA - ARONOFSKY - KASDAN - WOODSTOCK!!! -- 136 total posts 136 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 516 total posts 126 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 692 total posts 90 posts
- George R.R. Martin Scales Back HBO Activity To Focus On Completing WINDS OF WINTER!! -- 112 total posts 66 posts
- Help Robert Meyer Burnett And Mark A. Altman Kickstart A Series Revisitation Of Their Ode To Geekosity, FREE ENTERPRISE!! -- 40 total posts 39 posts
- Eva Green in Talks for Tim Burton's MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN! -- 102 total posts 38 posts
- Stern's TALENT!! New DRUNK, TYRANT, NATHAN, CARTER, GEAR, STORAGE, SHIPPING, LOSS, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR & PAINS!! WIFE SWAP & DEGRASSI Finales!! Chris Pratt & Judy Greer On LETTERMAN!! Maggie Gyllenhaal & Lee Pace On SETH!! Jamie Chung On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 38 total posts 38 posts
- Watch Quickly!! Some Test Footage From Tim Miller And Ryan Reynolds’ DEADPOOL Movie!! -- 177 total posts 32 posts