See Robert Redford adrift at sea in this trailer for ALL IS LOST!!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Today, we get our first look at the trailer for the Robert Redford one-man-show, ALL IS LOST, via Yahoo. The flick, which has Redford as a dude whose time at sea gets made very difficult when his boat collides with a massive shipping container, made a splash (wacka wacka!) at this year's Cannes film festival, getting a ton of notices for the legendary actor's central performance. Redford has been appearing in slightly under-the-radar films for a while now (THE COMPANY YOU KEEP, LIONS FOR LAMBS, AN UNFINISHED LIFE), but with this and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, it seems like Sundance is on course to regain some serious public interest over the next year. He's one of our last working movie stars from that late-60's/70's era of film, and it's nice to see him getting into a groove once more, especially one that doesn't involve horse whispering and magical black mentor caddies (I'd be mighty impressed, and even more pleased, if he pulled off another QUIZ SHOW or ORDINARY PEOPLE in the near future).
Aside from what must be a pensive, powerful performance (imagine Daffy Duck saying that), it looks like writer/director J.C. Chandor (MARGIN CALL) and his cinematographer Frank G. DeMarco have also played a large part in the film's appeal, as well. The film looks, sounds, and feels great, from the little bit that we see here. Remember those first snippets of LIFE OF PI we got before any official trailer dropped? I'm way more taken with what we're seeing here than I was with those clips. The look doesn't seem to be overly showy or phonily "magical", but immerses you in the situation and highlights both the overwhelming beauty and terrifying reality of Redford's surroundings. As one who's always had paranoias regarding maritime exploration (admittedly mainly towards the unlikely threat of man-hungry sharks), this film seems like a great cinematic realization of said fears, and I can't wait to feel more of that sense of dread and impending doom I'm getting here when this flick hits this fall.
ALL IS LOST finds its way into theaters on October 18th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 502 total posts 342 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 251 total posts 210 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 226 total posts 140 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 54 total posts 28 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 63 total posts 26 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 307 total posts 25 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 293 total posts 23 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 339 total posts 20 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 17 total posts 17 posts