Len Wiseman NOT rebooting THE MUMMY (cue the sobbing)!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
We'd heard that Len Wiseman was on board to direct Universal's reboot of the MUMMY franchise for producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Well, that wasn't to be. The Wrap notes that Wiseman has left the project due to scheduling conflicts, presumably with his upcoming gig with the SLEEPY HOLLOW TV show.
While it is a cliche to jump on Len Wiseman's ass for not making anything other than mediocre, half-baked genre flicks, he really doesn't do much to contradict that notion. His three UNDERWORLD films (or at least the two I've seen), LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, and the TOTAL RECALL remake are all nearly pleasureless experiences which squander any potential they have in concept. While some would say the same of Stephen Sommers, who directed the first two MUMMY's in the Brendan Fraser series, I'd argue that Sommers injects a whiz-bang enthusiasm in even the weakest of his films (like VAN HELSING or G.I. JOE: RISE OF COBRA) that is missing in other studio-driven action-horror, like, say, THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR (directed by Rob Cohen, who, other than that film, I could say the same of). Wiseman's never directed anything remotely scary, which this would need to be, and his handling of action is questionable at best, so in my opinion, Universal, and Orci/Kurtzman, have had a happy accident in this development. But if you really wanted to see Kate Beckinsale kung-fuing Imothep's ass in leather pants, this news probably does put the kibosh on that (admittedly intriguing) notion.
Regardless of this "roadblock", they're going full steam ahead with this bad boy, so we should hear news of Wiseman's replacement shortly. Whoever they pick, I hope they have the audacity to completely ignore the last series, but still bring back Arnold Vosloo as the titular monster. Unless they replace him with Andy Serkis. Which would also be cool.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Could These International TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Posters Win Over A Skeptical 7(ish) Year Old?? -- 111 total posts 111 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 82 total posts 82 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 213 total posts 72 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 69 total posts 69 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 391 total posts 64 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 101 total posts 52 posts
- Aye! The Next PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN Film Has An Official Release Date!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- Learn Which Movie Star Just Signed On To HBO’s Jonathan Nolan/Bad Robot Pilot WESTWORLD!! -- 37 total posts 37 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 193 total posts 35 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 140 total posts 32 posts