Len Wiseman NOT rebooting THE MUMMY (cue the sobbing)!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
We'd heard that Len Wiseman was on board to direct Universal's reboot of the MUMMY franchise for producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Well, that wasn't to be. The Wrap notes that Wiseman has left the project due to scheduling conflicts, presumably with his upcoming gig with the SLEEPY HOLLOW TV show.
While it is a cliche to jump on Len Wiseman's ass for not making anything other than mediocre, half-baked genre flicks, he really doesn't do much to contradict that notion. His three UNDERWORLD films (or at least the two I've seen), LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, and the TOTAL RECALL remake are all nearly pleasureless experiences which squander any potential they have in concept. While some would say the same of Stephen Sommers, who directed the first two MUMMY's in the Brendan Fraser series, I'd argue that Sommers injects a whiz-bang enthusiasm in even the weakest of his films (like VAN HELSING or G.I. JOE: RISE OF COBRA) that is missing in other studio-driven action-horror, like, say, THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR (directed by Rob Cohen, who, other than that film, I could say the same of). Wiseman's never directed anything remotely scary, which this would need to be, and his handling of action is questionable at best, so in my opinion, Universal, and Orci/Kurtzman, have had a happy accident in this development. But if you really wanted to see Kate Beckinsale kung-fuing Imothep's ass in leather pants, this news probably does put the kibosh on that (admittedly intriguing) notion.
Regardless of this "roadblock", they're going full steam ahead with this bad boy, so we should hear news of Wiseman's replacement shortly. Whoever they pick, I hope they have the audacity to completely ignore the last series, but still bring back Arnold Vosloo as the titular monster. Unless they replace him with Andy Serkis. Which would also be cool.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check Out Spidey and Electro in the First Clip from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! -- 43 total posts 43 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 156 total posts 25 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 91 total posts 19 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 74 total posts 15 posts
- International OCULUS Poster Has Arrived! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- ‘Nobody’s Interested In Your Texts!!’ President Barack Obama Takes On Zach Galifianakis BETWEEN TWO FERNS!! -- 44 total posts 9 posts
- Aliens look to Steve Martin to find them a new home planet in this extended teaser for HOME, entitled ALMOST HOME! -- 19 total posts 7 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 83 total posts 7 posts
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 129 total posts 7 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 72 total posts 6 posts