THE GREAT GATSBY's Elizabeth Debicki joins up with THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
It's looking like they should re-title this one "THE MAN FROM U.P.A.N.D.C.O.M.E.R.". We knew that MAN OF STEEL's Henry Cavill was lined up to play Napoleon Solo after Tom Cruise dropped out, and that THE LONE RANGER's Armie Hammer was in as Illya Kuryakin (or whatever his name ends up being…that once-hot Russian tension has kinda gone the way of the dodo). Now, Variety has the news that Elizabeth Debicki, best known as Jordan Baker in this year's THE GREAT GATSBY, is lined up to play the female lead. She beat out big names like Rose Byrne and Charlize Theron for the role in Guy Ritchie's update of the 1960's spy series, making it seem like this $75 million production should give her the showcase she needs to stake her claim as a heavy hitter among actresses her age (all I'll say is she was born in the '90s).
Even more so than Cavill and Hammer, the French-born, Australian-raised Debicki went from being a complete unknown with no major roles to her credit to becoming a fairly hot commodity this summer following her scene-stealing turn in GATSBY. I was not a fan of the film, and thought that it misused the talents of Joel Edgerton, Carey Mulligan, and even Leo, but Debicki made a huge impression in her smaller part as Nick Carraway's love interest. Tall, hyper-confident, and with just a hint of the willful ignorance that the other rich folk in the movie ladled on like gravy, she was the lone bright star in that overlong, missing-the-point adaptation, and it's great to see that her efforts paid off. I could see her transitioning into this tough, spy-chick role with no harm at all. Ritchie has showed good sense with his (non-Madonna) female leads, with Thandie Newton in ROCK N' ROLLA, Rachel McAdams in SHERLOCK HOLMES, and Noomi Rapace in its sequel all being tough, off-the-sidelines parts, so hopefully he's got something just as juicy for Miss Debicki to sink her teeth into.
THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. starts production this September, aiming for a release date sometime in 2014 (I'm guessing holiday season).
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 180 total posts 44 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 307 total posts 6 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 82 total posts 4 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 3 posts
- SXSW 2014: Nordling Reviews BOYHOOD! -- 7 total posts 2 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 34 total posts 2 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 40 total posts 2 posts
- A newly remastered 4K print of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is coming just in time for its 40th anniversary!! -- 70 total posts 1 post
- Merrick Stands Up In The Milky Way To Be Pummeled By The Greatness Of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY!! -- 43 total posts 1 post
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 216 total posts 1 post