Jamie Foxx attempting to lock himself in as Todd McFarlane's SPAWN?!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
This past February, Todd McFarlane gave MTV an update on his long-gestating SPAWN sequel/reboot. His exact words were: "I continue to sort of write a page here and there. I've said before I have a guy waiting in the sidelines who's an Academy Award winner/actor who's just goin'…phones every three weeks going, 'Todd, where's the script? Where's the script? Where's the script?'" He wouldn't reveal the name of the actor, but it appears that we can pretty much narrow it down to one dude: Django Electro Beamen himself, Jamie Foxx.
In a recent interview with Movies.com, Foxx answered the question of "What's one thing, or who, or what haven't you played yet that you're like 'I need to do this still?" with "There's a couple of them, Spawn…is one, yeah, and uh, Mike Tyson. Those are two roles that I would just love to, you know, get down with.", before adding that he's "aggressively pursuing" both. That "aggressive pursuit" completely matches the kind of behavior McFarlane was describing back in February, so it really does seem conclusive that Foxx is the frontrunner to play the new incarnation of Al Simmons.
While Michael Jai White was (and, in my opinion, is) perfect casting for that so-so '97 version of SPAWN, I like the idea of Foxx taking on the pitch-black role in the update. Before DJANGO UNCHAINED, I was unsure as to how gritty and badass Foxx was capable of being, but that movie more than showed his ability to "get dirty", as the character so succinctly puts it. I'd love to see him donning the red cape and skulking through the shadows, especially if the plot keeps Spawn as a mostly offscreen entity, which McFarlane's hinted at in the past.
But if the offer's too low, or the scheduling's too demanding, I pray that they give Jai White another shot at the gig. He's grown a ton as an actor, and he's fashioned himself into his own type of action star, and would inject the personality into the character that his last go-around so desperately needed.
Honestly, it's just good to see the SPAWN movie getting some traction. I've been hearing about this follow-up since the goddamn '90s, and am still eagerly awaiting a proper live-action realization of McFarlane's doomed, tragic hero.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 313 total posts 234 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 333 total posts 77 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 86 total posts 66 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 311 total posts 63 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 416 total posts 59 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 168 total posts 40 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 39 total posts 39 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 60 total posts 38 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts