NBC Wants To Make Stephen King’s THE TOMMYKNOCKERS And Ira Levin’s ROSEMARY’S BABY Into New Miniseries!!
At the TCA upfronts this weekend, NBC announced plans to develop two well-known properties into miniseries:
“The Tommyknockers,” probably the Stephen King novel that most resembles King’s “Under The Dome,” is the tale of an extraterrestrial spacecraft discovered in a small Maine town. ABC already made it into a Jimmy Smits miniseries in 1993. Yves Simoneau (“Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee”) is set to direct the NBC version.
“Rosemary’s Baby,” from the novel by Ira Levin (“The Stepford Wives,” “The Boys From Brazil”), follows a young married couple who get involved with dirty satanists. Roman Polanski’s acclaimed adaptation hit cinemas in 1968. Scott Abbott (“Introducing Dorothy Dandridge,” “Winchell”) is scripting the NBC version.
The network is also developing two historial miniseries, one that would depict the life and career of pantsuit-loving presidential aspirant Hilary Clinton, the other about the first European residents of New England.
If you watch the ratings, miniseries make a lot of sense. Too often a series will get a premiere that garners solid ratings – but the series itself will bleed viewers quickly and only last a season (or less). If a channel runs miniseries all year, they get a lot more premieres than when they just greenlight 22-episode seasons of ongoing series. And if a miniseries does big business, sequels can always be ordered.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- We have the first trailer for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 right here and it hints towards some pretty exciting things!! -- 586 total posts 586 posts
- Bryan Singer signals... the APOCALYPSE... X-MEN fans should be getting giddy! -- 287 total posts 287 posts
- So The MAN OF STEEL Sequel Has (At Least) A Third Superhero In It... -- 739 total posts 198 posts
- Universal Releases A Nice Tribute To Paul Walker... -- 100 total posts 100 posts
- LIFE OF PI Scribe David Magee to Pen New NARNIA Film! -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- Beatles' manager Brian Epstein to get his own flick, entitled THE FIFTH BEATLE! -- 120 total posts 93 posts
- Trailer and Release Date for NURSE 3D! -- 62 total posts 62 posts
- This New HOBBIT Production Diary Shows Us Laketown, Smaug Bits, And Table Tennis Playing Middle Earthers!! -- 52 total posts 52 posts
- WARCRAFT is getting its cast together! Adds Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper, Toby Kebbell, and more! -- 93 total posts 50 posts
- Joe Dante's Making A New Movie Called BURYING THE EX And You Can Be A Part Of It! -- 53 total posts 48 posts