Melissa McCarthy and Paul Feig to reteam on SUSAN COOPER!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
This morning, The Wrap reported that Melissa McCarthy and her BRIDESMAIDS/THE HEAT director Paul Feig are gearing up for yet another collaboration. The film is entitled SUSAN COOPER, and is a female-centric spy comedy, allegedly in the vein of James Bond, specifically CASINO ROYALE, which Feig cites as inspiration. McCarthy is currently in talks to play the titular character, which they hope will have the franchise potential of BRIDESMAIDS and THE HEAT (which was shot down for both films by reluctance from their respective leading ladies).
With his female-centric entries in the sex comedy, buddy movie, and, now, spy flick genres, Feig is trying to use his clout to create a marketplace for female-driven films that directly rival their male counterparts, and I'm all for it. If you haven't read his Hollywood Reporter article that highlights just how much how big of a proponent of female comedy he is, check it out. I was a much bigger fan of THE HEAT than I was of BRIDESMAIDS, but seeing as this seems closer in tone to the former than the latter, I am intrigued by this project. I don't think anyone out there doubts McCarthy's natural charisma and talent, and while I don't see her playing a straight man-killer to match Bond's way with the ladies (although her promiscuous HEAT character is both believable and hilarious), I'd love to see her outside of her comfort zone, and to watch as she takes down some hatable, P.O.S. supervillains.
Feig's already written the script, and it doesn't seem like THE HEAT sequel is happening anytime soon, so we should hear more details about SUSAN COOPER in the next few months. I'm hoping they don't feel the need to pair her off with anyone; audiences have shown that they love McCarthy, and it's time for her to show what she can do without a traditionally-attractive, skinnier co-star to back her up.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 191 total posts 91 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 184 total posts 47 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 122 total posts 31 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 84 total posts 28 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 23 total posts 23 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 432 total posts 21 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 206 total posts 11 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 37 total posts 9 posts
- The Premiere Of TIM & ERIC’s BEDTIME STORIES!! New GARFUNKEL, HAVEN & LOSER!! HONORABLE, RUSH, WORST, NAKED, MARRIED & SATISFACTION Finales!! The Return Of BREAKING AMISH!! Terry Gilliam On COLBERT!! Carmen Lynch On CRAIG!! Julianna & Viggo On SETH!! Ali Wong @MIDNIGHT!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 11 total posts 8 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 166 total posts 7 posts