GRAN TURISMO the latest video game to get the big screen treatment!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Sony has greenlit a feature-film adaptation of the massively popular Playstation series, GRAN TURISMO, according to The Wrap. The video games, which first started on Playstation 1 back in '97, don't have anything resembling a real narrative, and are way more racing simulators than anything else. But that doesn't seem to stop SOCIAL NETWORK and 50 SHADES OF GREY producers Dana Brunetti and Mike De Luca from seeing the franchise potential in the series, which has sold 70 million copies worldwide over the past 15 years; it's the Playstation's HALO or MARIO, so it seems almost a given that someone had to take a shot at making it into a movie. I imagine they can transplant some sort of RUSH/DRIVEN-style rivalry-between-racers-style plot into the translation, while still leaving plenty of room for fast cars and auto part fetishization.
Personally, I am more intrigued by the upcoming NEED FOR SPEED, but that one didn't really catch my attention until the casting of Aaron Paul and that featurette we got at this past E3. Brunetti and De Luca have to find the right balance between finding talent to promote the notion that this film will actually have a story and something resembling emotion, while also making sure that there's enough focus on simple car-racing to please fans of the game. I'm curious to see how this develops.
No word on when they're shooting for in terms of production schedule, but the game series' latest entry, GRAN TURISMO 6, releases later this year for PS3.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 294 total posts 158 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 141 total posts 63 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 270 total posts 55 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 61 total posts 23 posts
- New BATES, BONES, BEAST, BRAIN, BEING, BELIEVE, BITTEN!! BACHELOR & BEAST Finales!! MOTHER, MOLLY, MORTY, MAYNE, KILL, VOICE, DALLAS, SWITCHED, FOSTERS, ROADSHOW, INTELLIGENCE, STARCROSSED, FOLLOWING, WOLF, RAW, & LOST GIRL!! The Return Of THE PEOPLE’S COUCH!! Emily Mortimer On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 315 total posts 14 posts
- Quint thinks Nick Stoller's NEIGHBORS is heartfelt, hysterical and all kinds of messed up! SXSW 2014! -- 10 total posts 10 posts