GRAN TURISMO the latest video game to get the big screen treatment!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Sony has greenlit a feature-film adaptation of the massively popular Playstation series, GRAN TURISMO, according to The Wrap. The video games, which first started on Playstation 1 back in '97, don't have anything resembling a real narrative, and are way more racing simulators than anything else. But that doesn't seem to stop SOCIAL NETWORK and 50 SHADES OF GREY producers Dana Brunetti and Mike De Luca from seeing the franchise potential in the series, which has sold 70 million copies worldwide over the past 15 years; it's the Playstation's HALO or MARIO, so it seems almost a given that someone had to take a shot at making it into a movie. I imagine they can transplant some sort of RUSH/DRIVEN-style rivalry-between-racers-style plot into the translation, while still leaving plenty of room for fast cars and auto part fetishization.
Personally, I am more intrigued by the upcoming NEED FOR SPEED, but that one didn't really catch my attention until the casting of Aaron Paul and that featurette we got at this past E3. Brunetti and De Luca have to find the right balance between finding talent to promote the notion that this film will actually have a story and something resembling emotion, while also making sure that there's enough focus on simple car-racing to please fans of the game. I'm curious to see how this develops.
No word on when they're shooting for in terms of production schedule, but the game series' latest entry, GRAN TURISMO 6, releases later this year for PS3.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 51 total posts 51 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 103 total posts 26 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 510 total posts 13 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 33 total posts 10 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 265 total posts 9 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 14 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 22 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 333 total posts 4 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 11 total posts 3 posts