Get your defense stance ready for these 47 RONIN character posters!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Today, we get our first official look at Carl Erik Rinsch's 47 RONIN via these character posters that were originally put up on IGN. We see Keanu Reeves' Kai, Rinko Kikuchi's evil Misuki, and two other totally badass characters, including potentially Hiroyuki Sanada's samurai character in that crazy armor. This film has had a lot of production problems behind the scenes. The film was initially shooting all the way back in the first half of 2011, and was supposed to come out in November of last year, but got pushed back twice for FX work and reshoots that were apparently meant to "beef up" Keanu Reeves' character and some love scenes.
Either way, while these posters aren't quite as stylized as the ones that were rejected by Universal, they are effective at separating the project from past samurai films, which'll be a must if the flick is to fly with U.S. moviegoers (we've learned all too well this month their reluctance to rush out and see Japanese-influenced cinema). I love that Dia-de-los-Muertos-on-crack look on that last character, and I'm digging the full-body samurai armor (which looks pretty fucking heavy and impractical for a katana fight, but what the fuck do I know). I can't wait to see Kikuchi get her crazy-bitch freak on after falling in love with her endearing Mako Mori in PACIFIC RIM.
Despite the obvious racial incongruence, I am hoping for the best regarding Keanu's character. When he finds the right role for himself, he does pretty excellent work, and I'm looking forward to seeing him hold down the film, which apparently gets kind of supernatural and "out there".
Plus, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa and ICHI THE KILLER's Tadanobu Asano are also in this. Gotta love the primarily-Japanese cast they rounded up for this $200 million flick!
We'll get a better idea of what to expect when the trailer arrives sometime this week.
47 RONIN get their vengeance on December 25th…we think.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 164 total posts 112 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 167 total posts 60 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 82 total posts 30 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 78 total posts 25 posts
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 43 total posts 21 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 356 total posts 20 posts
- Character posters for Liam Hemsworth, Natalie Dormer, and more of the resistance from HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY! -- 69 total posts 16 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 66 total posts 13 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 249 total posts 12 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 280 total posts 12 posts