Get your defense stance ready for these 47 RONIN character posters!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Today, we get our first official look at Carl Erik Rinsch's 47 RONIN via these character posters that were originally put up on IGN. We see Keanu Reeves' Kai, Rinko Kikuchi's evil Misuki, and two other totally badass characters, including potentially Hiroyuki Sanada's samurai character in that crazy armor. This film has had a lot of production problems behind the scenes. The film was initially shooting all the way back in the first half of 2011, and was supposed to come out in November of last year, but got pushed back twice for FX work and reshoots that were apparently meant to "beef up" Keanu Reeves' character and some love scenes.
Either way, while these posters aren't quite as stylized as the ones that were rejected by Universal, they are effective at separating the project from past samurai films, which'll be a must if the flick is to fly with U.S. moviegoers (we've learned all too well this month their reluctance to rush out and see Japanese-influenced cinema). I love that Dia-de-los-Muertos-on-crack look on that last character, and I'm digging the full-body samurai armor (which looks pretty fucking heavy and impractical for a katana fight, but what the fuck do I know). I can't wait to see Kikuchi get her crazy-bitch freak on after falling in love with her endearing Mako Mori in PACIFIC RIM.
Despite the obvious racial incongruence, I am hoping for the best regarding Keanu's character. When he finds the right role for himself, he does pretty excellent work, and I'm looking forward to seeing him hold down the film, which apparently gets kind of supernatural and "out there".
Plus, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa and ICHI THE KILLER's Tadanobu Asano are also in this. Gotta love the primarily-Japanese cast they rounded up for this $200 million flick!
We'll get a better idea of what to expect when the trailer arrives sometime this week.
47 RONIN get their vengeance on December 25th…we think.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 320 total posts 255 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 218 total posts 218 posts
- Mike Epps Is Lee Daniels's Richard Pryor! -- 157 total posts 96 posts
- Ridley Scott Says The BLADE RUNNER Sequel Is Written And It’s… -- 446 total posts 90 posts
- Copernicus interviews Andy Weir, author of THE MARTIAN -- Ridley Scott's next film! -- 68 total posts 68 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 284 total posts 55 posts
- Harry Potter Gets Horny!! No, Really!! See, He Has HORNS!! -- 52 total posts 52 posts
- BIG HERO 6 Coming To Disney Infinity 2.0!! And STAR WARS!? -- 44 total posts 44 posts
- A New Poster For Robert Downey Jr’s THE JUDGE (It Has A Great Cast)!! -- 40 total posts 40 posts
- Lionsgate to bring us Arnold Schwarzenegger vs. zombies in MAGGIE come early 2015! -- 217 total posts 34 posts