Get your defense stance ready for these 47 RONIN character posters!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Today, we get our first official look at Carl Erik Rinsch's 47 RONIN via these character posters that were originally put up on IGN. We see Keanu Reeves' Kai, Rinko Kikuchi's evil Misuki, and two other totally badass characters, including potentially Hiroyuki Sanada's samurai character in that crazy armor. This film has had a lot of production problems behind the scenes. The film was initially shooting all the way back in the first half of 2011, and was supposed to come out in November of last year, but got pushed back twice for FX work and reshoots that were apparently meant to "beef up" Keanu Reeves' character and some love scenes.
Either way, while these posters aren't quite as stylized as the ones that were rejected by Universal, they are effective at separating the project from past samurai films, which'll be a must if the flick is to fly with U.S. moviegoers (we've learned all too well this month their reluctance to rush out and see Japanese-influenced cinema). I love that Dia-de-los-Muertos-on-crack look on that last character, and I'm digging the full-body samurai armor (which looks pretty fucking heavy and impractical for a katana fight, but what the fuck do I know). I can't wait to see Kikuchi get her crazy-bitch freak on after falling in love with her endearing Mako Mori in PACIFIC RIM.
Despite the obvious racial incongruence, I am hoping for the best regarding Keanu's character. When he finds the right role for himself, he does pretty excellent work, and I'm looking forward to seeing him hold down the film, which apparently gets kind of supernatural and "out there".
Plus, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa and ICHI THE KILLER's Tadanobu Asano are also in this. Gotta love the primarily-Japanese cast they rounded up for this $200 million flick!
We'll get a better idea of what to expect when the trailer arrives sometime this week.
47 RONIN get their vengeance on December 25th…we think.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 198 total posts 173 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 158 total posts 114 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 194 total posts 51 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 558 total posts 35 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 180 total posts 23 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 111 total posts 21 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 66 total posts 10 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 356 total posts 9 posts
- REAL HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION Premiere!! The Return Of ORPHAN BLACK!! Hallmark’s A LESSON IN ROMANCE!! Lifetime’s A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 7 total posts 7 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 191 total posts 7 posts