Introducing John Ary's Super-Powered Cinematics: Japanese SPIDER-MAN!!
John Ary here with a look at a new video series that I'm starting here at AICN.
With so much news breaking this weekend at Comic-Con, I thought it would be interesting to take a look back at some of the forgotten or overlooked superhero live-action productions from days gone by.
Super-Powered Cinematics will attempt to put a variety of TV shows and films into a cultural or historical perspective. We'll try to stay away from some of the more well-known or contemporary titles (no Dark Knight Rises or Superman II for instance) and focus on niche releases from different time periods and locations. I'm not sure how often we'll put these out (just depends on the kind of response we get), but you can definitely expect to see a new video each day this week.
ALSO, in keeping with the trends nowadays of a post-credit kicker, you may want to stick around until the very end of the video for a small extra treat. To kick off the new series, I thought we would head back to the late 70's for an international take on one of our most beloved heroes. Spider-Man had a TV series that ran sporadically on CBS starring Nicholas Hammond. Most comic book fans, including me found the show bland, with Peter Parker solving mysteries and stopping routine crimes instead of battling super-villains. A year later, Marvel gave the Toei company in Japan the rights to use Spider-Man in their own television show. The resulting TV series takes our friendly neighborhood wall crawler in a completely new and action-packed direction.
If you want to see a complete episode, Marvel.com is currently streaming the entire series. What do you think of Japan's take on Spider-Man? Let me know on Twitter (@john_ary) or in the comment section below and be sure to subscribe to the AICN YouTube channel for more videos. See you tomorrow for another installment of Super-Powered Cinematics!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 196 total posts 41 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 153 total posts 39 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 56 total posts 25 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 107 total posts 23 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 130 total posts 20 posts
- Scott Glenn Joins Charlie Cox, Vincent D’Onofrio, Rosario Dawson, Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll For Netflix’s DAREDEVIL Series!! -- 59 total posts 16 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 97 total posts 15 posts
- The New Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1 Hints That The Movie Is Freakin’ Huge!! -- 266 total posts 13 posts
- New Poster for V/H/S: VIRAL!!! -- 27 total posts 10 posts
- Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett to take on I SAW THE DEVIL REMAKE!!!!!!!! -- 51 total posts 7 posts