UPDATED WITH OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE! It's official, we are getting a BATMAN/SUPERMAN movie in 2015 that will be inspired by Frank Miller's THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS!!!!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
How is Marvel going to top this news? We have official word from Comic-Con that the next MAN OF STEEL film is in fact going to be a Batman/Superman film that Zack Snyder will direct. Henry Cavill will return, David S. Goyer will write, and Christopher Nolan will be an executive producer.
Snyder came to the stage and had MOS actor Harry Lennix read this quote from Frank Miller’s legendary graphic novel, THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS,
“I want you to remember, Clark, in all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember your hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you.”
Snyder followed that up by explaining,
“We’re not adapting this thing, but it is the thing that will help us tell that story.”
So take from that whatever you want but I think they realize that Superman does not have a big enough role in the graphic novel so they will obviously need to beef it up. We don't know how much of Miller's story will inspire the film so don't get your hopes too high but this is the news we have all been waiting for.
Our own Quint was in the room for the amazing experience as they showed this logo, obviously inspired by Miller’s work:
There you go. Superman and Batman together in next movie. pic.twitter.com/cw6IuRG6TO— Eric Vespe (@EricVespe) July 20, 2013
Here are some of Quint’s other tweets and be sure to follow him for all of the Comic-Con coverage as I am sure Marvel will do their best to top this later on this afternoon.
"It's official. We are going to make another Superman movie." -Zack— Eric Vespe (@EricVespe) July 20, 2013
Harry Lennox, from Man of Steel, has a better voice than Zack, he said. He's about to read something.— Eric Vespe (@EricVespe) July 20, 2013
With this step Warner Bros shows their first real inkling of understanding their properties. Finally we see signs of a bigger DC picture— Eric Vespe (@EricVespe) July 20, 2013
Is this the geekiest thing to ever happen at Comic-Con? Does it top the unveiling of The Avengers a few years ago?
And here is Warner Bros' official press release announcing the film:
On the heels of the worldwide success of “Man of Steel,” director Zack Snyder is bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Batman and Superman—for the first time on the big screen. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.
The current hit, “Man of Steel,” has taken in more than $630 million at the worldwide box office to date, and climbing. Along with its star, Henry Cavill, the upcoming film brings back Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane. The new Batman has yet to be cast. Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date in Summer 2015.
Silverman stated, “Zack Snyder is an incredibly talented filmmaker, but beyond that, he’s a fan first and he utterly gets this genre. We could not think of anyone better suited to the task of bringing these iconic Super Heroes to the screen in his own way.” Kroll added, “We are thrilled to be back in business with Zack and his team on this next movie. The success of ‘Man of Steel’ is a wonderful testament to the love and support that both fans and new audiences, worldwide, have for these characters. We are very excited to see what Zack has in store for all of us.”
Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment, noted, “Superman and Batman together on the big screen is a dream come true for DC fans everywhere. All of us at DC Entertainment could not be more excited for Zack’s continuing vision for the DC Universe.”
Zack Snyder, who made a surprise appearance at Comic-Con today, breaking the news to audiences there, later said, “I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter. Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world.”
The new film brings back Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder as producers. This time, Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are serving as executive producers, along with Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan. Thomas offered, “Whilst our ‘Dark Knight’ trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack’s fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction. His vision for Superman opened the door to a whole new universe and we can’t wait to see what Zack does with these characters.” The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 459 total posts 299 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 234 total posts 193 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 190 total posts 104 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 32 total posts 32 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 62 total posts 25 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 306 total posts 24 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 49 total posts 23 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 292 total posts 22 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 195 total posts 9 posts