Is Paramount going to move PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 5 to next year?
Hey Yo, Draven here.
The Wrap is reporting that Paramount is considering moving the fifth installment of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY to January of 2014. No decision has been made yet and nobody knows why Paramount is considering moving the film out of its current October 25, 2013 slot.
It’s fun to speculate though and the only reasons I can think of, are either the film is behind schedule, or more likely, Paramount is looking at the success horror films have recently had in January and are worried about the performance of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4.
Paramount’s own, THE DEVIL INSIDE, opened to $33 million in January of 2012, and this year, TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D, opened to $21 million in January. Other studios are already catching on though, as Fox has DEVIL’S DUE, Dimension has THE AMITYVILLE HORROR: THE LOST TAPES and Lionsgate has JESSABELLE, all horror films that are scheduled for this coming January. Meanwhile, October only has the remake of CARRIE and PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 5 currently scheduled. I know, it seems kind of weird to me too that we are getting more horror films in January than October. (It would also be strange to not have a PARANORMAL ACTIVITY or SAW film at Halloween, as this would be the first time in ten years without either.)
It does seem kind of risky for Paramount to mess with a formula that has been extremely successful over the last four years. All of the previous films have been released in October and have grossed a combined total of about $720 million worldwide on a combined budget of about $13 million (not including p&a).
To be fair, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4 was the lowest grossing film in the franchise and grossed about $67 million less than PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3, worldwide. Maybe they think this will rejuvenate the franchise, although I don’t think there is a lot of traction left with the PARANORMAL ACTIVITY franchise. Not to mention, most people hated the last film.
Paramount has still not announced who directed PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 5 yet or any plot details. (Yes, I used the past tense because apparently the film has already been filmed.) We should be hearing some more details soon and confirmation on the release date, so stay tuned.
In the meantime, let me know what you guys think. Are you done with this franchise? Do you think moving the film to January is a good idea?
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 389 total posts 69 posts
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 490 total posts 39 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 676 total posts 11 posts
- Full banner and character posters from AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON! -- 196 total posts 7 posts
- SDCC '14: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 flying into our galaxy in July 2017! -- 88 total posts 7 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Luc Besson’s LUCY, MONTY PYTHON LIVE (MOSTLY), Tomorrow’s LEFTOVERS And The Latest STAR WARS, DC, MARVEL, LOUIE, 24, HBO & GAME OF THRONES News!! Plus The Return Of AICN’s Own Horrorella!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 270 total posts 5 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint checks out Marvel's Ant-Man panel and sees a nifty teaser sequence! -- 58 total posts 4 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen actual footage from George Miller's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!! -- 111 total posts 4 posts
- ‘You Have Failed This City!!’ When Atom Met ARROW!! 2.5 Minutes Of Season Three!! -- 39 total posts 3 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has a ton of photos and highlights from Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron panel! -- 97 total posts 2 posts