This trailer for 12 YEARS A SLAVE has Chiwetel Ejiofor suffering at the hands of racists played by some famous white folk!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Is it the thing to do now to highlight how far we've come in this country by padding the movies about heroic black figures in servitude with famous white faces? 'Cause God knows whitey is super sympathetic, but can't muster up the energy to see a movie about slaves/subservients with the cast of THINK LIKE A MAN. I don't know, for all I know this and THE BUTLER (or whatever the hell it ends up being called) could be great, but it sure seems like the trailers lean way more on recognizable white actors than on the African-Americans the movies claim to be about. But I digress…
Today we get a trailer for Steve McQueen's new movie, 12 YEARS A SLAVE, based on the life of Solomon Northrup, a free man who was captured and sold into slavery in the mid 1800's. It has an impressive cast, including Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Paul Dano, Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael K. Williams, Scoot McNairy, Alfre Woodard, Sarah Paulson, and Chiwetel Ejiofor as Northrup, Despite the high-wattage roster, and my joy at seeing Mike Terry from REDBELT in another starring role, I'm not super-impressed with what I'm seeing. The tone seems a smidge over-the-top and cartoony, painting the slavers as stereotypically evil and the central slave as a Messianic-type figure. The imagery is nothing that we've never seen before, especially coming off of the super-potent work done by Tarantino and Robert Richardson in last year's DJANGO UNCHAINED.
I mean, I like SHAME, and I'm sure when I muster up the courage to sit through HUNGER, I'll enjoy that too. I wish McQueen nothing but the best with his biggest project yet (although it sucks that there's an actor named Steven R. McQueen; that shit is already confusing enough), but I really hope he brought more to the table than the willowing green fields of southern plantations and the hypocritical savagery of upper-class white slave-owners. From what we're seeing here, it's looking like a potentially showy role for Ejiofor, mixed with a possibly Razzie-level performance by Fassbender. Despite all that, I'll totally check this out based on the cast alone. We'll see what's actually shaking with this one in the coming months.
12 YEARS A SLAVE escapes on October 18th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 159 total posts 134 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 122 total posts 78 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 180 total posts 37 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 556 total posts 33 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 176 total posts 19 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 104 total posts 14 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 355 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 191 total posts 7 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 63 total posts 7 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 26 total posts 6 posts