"The Devil is real...and he is a dick," says the red-band trailer for HELL BABY!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
This red-band trailer for the upcoming directorial debut of screenwriters Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant is a marked improvement over the last one. The presence of boobs, weed, and f-bombs make that a no brainer, I guess, but I feel like this trailer captures the vibe of the actual movie much better than the green-band. I caught this flick back at Sundance (review here), and it is decidedly funnier than even this newest peek lets on. It's not amazing or anything, and is definitely a little unfocused and shaggy, but it has strong comic performances, and a handful of dynamite scenes of comic mayhem. Those priests played by Lennon and Garant themselves are absolutely as awesome as they come across below, especially once they team up with Rob Huebel and Paul Scheer's incompetent-ass cops. I would've saved a few of these gags for the actual movie, especially Kumail Nanjiani's cameo, but I can understand the push given that the flick's coming out in a few weeks and no one seems to have heard of it. Given that Lennon and Garant are already directing another flick with several of the same cast members, it won't make or break their careers by any chance, but if it did well, it could show that there was a solid market for out-there, high-concept low-budget comedies like this. The film also contains some hilarious makeup and practical FX work that the marketing has wisely refrained from revealing; to see the extent of the wacky shit these guys came up with for their first go-around behind the camera, you just have to check out the flick with audiences or in the comfort of your own home when the film drops later this month.
HELL BABY comes into the world via theaters and VOD on July 25.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 274 total posts 138 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 256 total posts 41 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 102 total posts 24 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 55 total posts 17 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 312 total posts 11 posts
- Quint thinks Nick Stoller's NEIGHBORS is heartfelt, hysterical and all kinds of messed up! SXSW 2014! -- 9 total posts 9 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 40 total posts 9 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 7 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 7 total posts 7 posts