"The Devil is real...and he is a dick," says the red-band trailer for HELL BABY!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
This red-band trailer for the upcoming directorial debut of screenwriters Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant is a marked improvement over the last one. The presence of boobs, weed, and f-bombs make that a no brainer, I guess, but I feel like this trailer captures the vibe of the actual movie much better than the green-band. I caught this flick back at Sundance (review here), and it is decidedly funnier than even this newest peek lets on. It's not amazing or anything, and is definitely a little unfocused and shaggy, but it has strong comic performances, and a handful of dynamite scenes of comic mayhem. Those priests played by Lennon and Garant themselves are absolutely as awesome as they come across below, especially once they team up with Rob Huebel and Paul Scheer's incompetent-ass cops. I would've saved a few of these gags for the actual movie, especially Kumail Nanjiani's cameo, but I can understand the push given that the flick's coming out in a few weeks and no one seems to have heard of it. Given that Lennon and Garant are already directing another flick with several of the same cast members, it won't make or break their careers by any chance, but if it did well, it could show that there was a solid market for out-there, high-concept low-budget comedies like this. The film also contains some hilarious makeup and practical FX work that the marketing has wisely refrained from revealing; to see the extent of the wacky shit these guys came up with for their first go-around behind the camera, you just have to check out the flick with audiences or in the comfort of your own home when the film drops later this month.
HELL BABY comes into the world via theaters and VOD on July 25.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 394 total posts 138 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 122 total posts 122 posts
- Peter Jackson Says Hobbitses Stalled His TINTIN Sequel - But... -- 103 total posts 103 posts
- First Images from Wally Pfister's TRANSCENDENCE! -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- Here's A Motion Comic Set Up For I, FRANKENSTEIN!! -- 76 total posts 76 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 265 total posts 72 posts
- Butters-centric SOUTH PARK Season Finale!! Final Wednesday SURVIVOR!! The Final CSI, MINDS, ARROW & TOMORROW PEOPLE Of 2013!! New MOB, MODERN, MIDDLE, NASHVILLE, SING OFF, BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Whitford On KIMMEL!! Cumberbatch & Takei On CONAN!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 88 total posts 58 posts
- Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for David Yates' TARZAN! -- 149 total posts 54 posts
- I'd watch Simon Pegg and Monty Python in ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING! -- 98 total posts 52 posts
- THE PURGE 2 to be headed up by Frank Grillo! -- 70 total posts 42 posts