"The Devil is real...and he is a dick," says the red-band trailer for HELL BABY!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
This red-band trailer for the upcoming directorial debut of screenwriters Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant is a marked improvement over the last one. The presence of boobs, weed, and f-bombs make that a no brainer, I guess, but I feel like this trailer captures the vibe of the actual movie much better than the green-band. I caught this flick back at Sundance (review here), and it is decidedly funnier than even this newest peek lets on. It's not amazing or anything, and is definitely a little unfocused and shaggy, but it has strong comic performances, and a handful of dynamite scenes of comic mayhem. Those priests played by Lennon and Garant themselves are absolutely as awesome as they come across below, especially once they team up with Rob Huebel and Paul Scheer's incompetent-ass cops. I would've saved a few of these gags for the actual movie, especially Kumail Nanjiani's cameo, but I can understand the push given that the flick's coming out in a few weeks and no one seems to have heard of it. Given that Lennon and Garant are already directing another flick with several of the same cast members, it won't make or break their careers by any chance, but if it did well, it could show that there was a solid market for out-there, high-concept low-budget comedies like this. The film also contains some hilarious makeup and practical FX work that the marketing has wisely refrained from revealing; to see the extent of the wacky shit these guys came up with for their first go-around behind the camera, you just have to check out the flick with audiences or in the comfort of your own home when the film drops later this month.
HELL BABY comes into the world via theaters and VOD on July 25.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- We have the first trailer for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 right here and it hints towards some pretty exciting things!! -- 502 total posts 502 posts
- So The MAN OF STEEL Sequel Has (At Least) A Third Superhero In It... -- 690 total posts 149 posts
- Bryan Singer signals... the APOCALYPSE... X-MEN fans should be getting giddy! -- 93 total posts 93 posts
- Universal Releases A Nice Tribute To Paul Walker... -- 81 total posts 81 posts
- Beatles' manager Brian Epstein to get his own flick, entitled THE FIFTH BEATLE! -- 106 total posts 79 posts
- LIFE OF PI Scribe David Magee to Pen New NARNIA Film! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- Trailer and Release Date for NURSE 3D! -- 51 total posts 51 posts
- Joe Dante's Making A New Movie Called BURYING THE EX And You Can Be A Part Of It! -- 53 total posts 48 posts
- WARCRAFT is getting its cast together! Adds Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper, Toby Kebbell, and more! -- 88 total posts 45 posts
- This New HOBBIT Production Diary Shows Us Laketown, Smaug Bits, And Table Tennis Playing Middle Earthers!! -- 43 total posts 43 posts