"The Devil is real...and he is a dick," says the red-band trailer for HELL BABY!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
This red-band trailer for the upcoming directorial debut of screenwriters Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant is a marked improvement over the last one. The presence of boobs, weed, and f-bombs make that a no brainer, I guess, but I feel like this trailer captures the vibe of the actual movie much better than the green-band. I caught this flick back at Sundance (review here), and it is decidedly funnier than even this newest peek lets on. It's not amazing or anything, and is definitely a little unfocused and shaggy, but it has strong comic performances, and a handful of dynamite scenes of comic mayhem. Those priests played by Lennon and Garant themselves are absolutely as awesome as they come across below, especially once they team up with Rob Huebel and Paul Scheer's incompetent-ass cops. I would've saved a few of these gags for the actual movie, especially Kumail Nanjiani's cameo, but I can understand the push given that the flick's coming out in a few weeks and no one seems to have heard of it. Given that Lennon and Garant are already directing another flick with several of the same cast members, it won't make or break their careers by any chance, but if it did well, it could show that there was a solid market for out-there, high-concept low-budget comedies like this. The film also contains some hilarious makeup and practical FX work that the marketing has wisely refrained from revealing; to see the extent of the wacky shit these guys came up with for their first go-around behind the camera, you just have to check out the flick with audiences or in the comfort of your own home when the film drops later this month.
HELL BABY comes into the world via theaters and VOD on July 25.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 209 total posts 49 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 90 total posts 41 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 50 total posts 20 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 65 total posts 20 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 175 total posts 16 posts
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 507 total posts 11 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 127 total posts 8 posts
- This nifty teaser for Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO hints at some freaky stuff going on in the Amazon! -- 74 total posts 6 posts
- Trailer for IF I STAY, Starring Chloe Grace Moretz! -- 61 total posts 6 posts
- "Alright boys, it's Howdy-Doody time!" Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard, and Don Johnson do the southern noir thing in this COLD IN JULY trailer! -- 26 total posts 4 posts