Kevin Costner to mule some cocaine for Guillermo Del Toro??!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Costner is having a good past couple of years. He was bumming around in movies like RUMOR HAS IT…,THE GUARDIAN, SWING VOTE, and MR. BROOKS (which I actually like) before HATFIELDS & MCCOYS quickly brought him back to relevance. He had a showy performance as Pa Kent in MAN OF STEEL, he's got a mentor-y role in JACK RYAN, and he's heading up the McG/Luc Besson actioner THREE DAYS TO KILL. Now, according to Deadline, Costner is now lining up to play the lead in MIDNIGHT DELIVERY, based on an idea by Guillermo Del Toro and written by his MAMA screenwriter Neil Cross.
They'll be shooting this fall during the prep for CRIMSON PEAK, so it's unlikely that GDT is gonna direct this bad boy, which would have Costner trying to save his kidnapped daughter by agreeing to traffic some Bolivian marching powder (read: cocaine) for her captors. Perfect softer take on TAKEN for the more-sensitive-than-Neesons Costner. I like the ticking clock potential of the plot. Reminds me a little of RED EYE, which I thought was a pretty kick-ass little B-movie.
I'm not the world's biggest MAMA fan (I think it falls into the ancient horror trap of losing momentum when the cards are finally on the table), but I can appreciate the ambition and slow-burn intensity of the script. Plus, Cross is the creator of the U.K. Idris Elba show, LUTHER, which I hear nothing but awesome things about. Would it be cool if this was a quickie GDT directorial job instead of merely being one of his "produced by" credits? Of course. We all loved PACIFIC RIM. But whatever happens, it's still his concept, and I believe Costner is a perfect vessel for his emotion-heavy content, so I think the jury's out on what direction this film's going in until we hear official news of a director. It'd be cool if this flick helped solidify Costner as a middle-aged movie star. And he wouldn't even need Tarantino!
If they shoot this fall, we should expect MIDNIGHT DELIVERY sometime next year.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 248 total posts 169 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 321 total posts 65 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 73 total posts 53 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 299 total posts 51 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 397 total posts 40 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 154 total posts 26 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 47 total posts 25 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 129 total posts 18 posts
- A thief will elude capture using interstellar teleportation in Doug Liman's RAILHEAD! -- 28 total posts 18 posts
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's THE NEST is now set to take on Luke Skywalker and friends in December 2015! -- 36 total posts 14 posts