Kevin Costner to mule some cocaine for Guillermo Del Toro??!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Costner is having a good past couple of years. He was bumming around in movies like RUMOR HAS IT…,THE GUARDIAN, SWING VOTE, and MR. BROOKS (which I actually like) before HATFIELDS & MCCOYS quickly brought him back to relevance. He had a showy performance as Pa Kent in MAN OF STEEL, he's got a mentor-y role in JACK RYAN, and he's heading up the McG/Luc Besson actioner THREE DAYS TO KILL. Now, according to Deadline, Costner is now lining up to play the lead in MIDNIGHT DELIVERY, based on an idea by Guillermo Del Toro and written by his MAMA screenwriter Neil Cross.
They'll be shooting this fall during the prep for CRIMSON PEAK, so it's unlikely that GDT is gonna direct this bad boy, which would have Costner trying to save his kidnapped daughter by agreeing to traffic some Bolivian marching powder (read: cocaine) for her captors. Perfect softer take on TAKEN for the more-sensitive-than-Neesons Costner. I like the ticking clock potential of the plot. Reminds me a little of RED EYE, which I thought was a pretty kick-ass little B-movie.
I'm not the world's biggest MAMA fan (I think it falls into the ancient horror trap of losing momentum when the cards are finally on the table), but I can appreciate the ambition and slow-burn intensity of the script. Plus, Cross is the creator of the U.K. Idris Elba show, LUTHER, which I hear nothing but awesome things about. Would it be cool if this was a quickie GDT directorial job instead of merely being one of his "produced by" credits? Of course. We all loved PACIFIC RIM. But whatever happens, it's still his concept, and I believe Costner is a perfect vessel for his emotion-heavy content, so I think the jury's out on what direction this film's going in until we hear official news of a director. It'd be cool if this flick helped solidify Costner as a middle-aged movie star. And he wouldn't even need Tarantino!
If they shoot this fall, we should expect MIDNIGHT DELIVERY sometime next year.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- So The MAN OF STEEL Sequel Has (At Least) A Third Superhero In It... -- 519 total posts 519 posts
- FAST AND FURIOUS 7 to be scrapped entirely? -- 273 total posts 273 posts
- These pics from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 show off Electro's lair and some serious lightning attacks! -- 316 total posts 163 posts
- Earlier Versions Of THE DARK CRYSTAL...Probably Felt A Lot Like This!! -- 93 total posts 93 posts
- We now have an official and better look at a new AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 banner, plus a new synopsis! -- 221 total posts 51 posts
- A New 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE Trailer Brings The Xerxes!! -- 50 total posts 50 posts
- Harry's 49th Picks & Peeks of 2013: OCTAGON, THE WOLVERINE, more Ninjas, Serpico & Saturn 3, NASHVILLE & more! -- 165 total posts 44 posts
- Filming on the FAST AND FURIOUS 7 has been postponed indefinitely. -- 252 total posts 43 posts
- More Angry Volcano Action in this New Trailer for Pompeii! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- Kevin Smith's TUSK won't make it in time for Sundance, but will screen a work-in-progress cut for fans! -- 81 total posts 37 posts