Kevin Costner to mule some cocaine for Guillermo Del Toro??!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Costner is having a good past couple of years. He was bumming around in movies like RUMOR HAS IT…,THE GUARDIAN, SWING VOTE, and MR. BROOKS (which I actually like) before HATFIELDS & MCCOYS quickly brought him back to relevance. He had a showy performance as Pa Kent in MAN OF STEEL, he's got a mentor-y role in JACK RYAN, and he's heading up the McG/Luc Besson actioner THREE DAYS TO KILL. Now, according to Deadline, Costner is now lining up to play the lead in MIDNIGHT DELIVERY, based on an idea by Guillermo Del Toro and written by his MAMA screenwriter Neil Cross.
They'll be shooting this fall during the prep for CRIMSON PEAK, so it's unlikely that GDT is gonna direct this bad boy, which would have Costner trying to save his kidnapped daughter by agreeing to traffic some Bolivian marching powder (read: cocaine) for her captors. Perfect softer take on TAKEN for the more-sensitive-than-Neesons Costner. I like the ticking clock potential of the plot. Reminds me a little of RED EYE, which I thought was a pretty kick-ass little B-movie.
I'm not the world's biggest MAMA fan (I think it falls into the ancient horror trap of losing momentum when the cards are finally on the table), but I can appreciate the ambition and slow-burn intensity of the script. Plus, Cross is the creator of the U.K. Idris Elba show, LUTHER, which I hear nothing but awesome things about. Would it be cool if this was a quickie GDT directorial job instead of merely being one of his "produced by" credits? Of course. We all loved PACIFIC RIM. But whatever happens, it's still his concept, and I believe Costner is a perfect vessel for his emotion-heavy content, so I think the jury's out on what direction this film's going in until we hear official news of a director. It'd be cool if this flick helped solidify Costner as a middle-aged movie star. And he wouldn't even need Tarantino!
If they shoot this fall, we should expect MIDNIGHT DELIVERY sometime next year.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 335 total posts 335 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 212 total posts 163 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 143 total posts 143 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 298 total posts 138 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 267 total posts 108 posts
- The first trailer for Clint Eastwood's JERSEY BOYS is here! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 92 total posts 62 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 102 total posts 57 posts
- Here’s A Poster And Trailer For THE ROVER - Guy Pearce In A Post Apocalyptic Hell Down Under!! -- 47 total posts 47 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 163 total posts 44 posts