Johnny Depp to star as MORTDECAI for David Koepp
Hey Yo, Draven here.
The Wrap is reporting that Johnny Depp is close to signing on to star in David Koepp’s MORTDECAI. MORTDECAI will be an adaptation of Kyril Bonfiglioli’s novel, THE GREAT MORTDECAI MOUSTACHE MYSTERY.
The novel was finished and published after Bonfigliol’s death by Craig Brown, and is the last in a series of comedic crime novels. Each novel follows Charlie Mortdecai, a quirky anti-hero, who is a wealthy art dealer that also occasionally displays psychotic tendencies who gets himself involved with mysteries. It sounds very similar to the kind of role that Depp has resigned himself to playing recently.
The series is well regarded though so maybe this will turn into something interesting. The other silver lining to this news is that it might scratch the itch that Depp and Koepp obviously have for a comedic quirky crime story. They have been trying to get a remake of THE THIN MAN off the ground for some time now and maybe this can help them give up on that. (We could only be so lucky).
I have my doubts about this project though. While Koepp is an accomplished screenwriter, most of his directorial features have fallen flat for me. He already directed one terrible collaboration with Johnny Depp in SECRET WINDOW and also directed last year’s terrible, PREMIUM RUSH. (I do enjoy STIR OF ECHOES though.)
Here is Amazon’s description of the novel:
Kyril Bonfiglioli's final novel follows the Hon. Charlie Mortdecai from adventure to misadventure via Jersey and Moscow to a final showdown in a Buckinghamshire bungalow of unparalleled hideousness. Tackling en route an unhealthy sprinkling of well-seasoned academics, a cryptic monk, an aristocratic Chief Constable, and more spies than you could shoehorn into a black stretch limo, Mordecai finds himself embroiled in another mission of international insecurity. Left unfinished at the time of the author's death, the celebrated satirist and parodist Craig Brown supplies the penultimate, plot-resolving chapter.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 173 total posts 173 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 438 total posts 101 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 83 total posts 83 posts
- Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 174 total posts 44 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 73 total posts 44 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 51 total posts 43 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 44 total posts 35 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 38 total posts 31 posts
- Mowgli to have friends like Scarlett Johansson and Lupita Nyong'o in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 65 total posts 29 posts