Johnny Depp to star as MORTDECAI for David Koepp
Hey Yo, Draven here.
The Wrap is reporting that Johnny Depp is close to signing on to star in David Koepp’s MORTDECAI. MORTDECAI will be an adaptation of Kyril Bonfiglioli’s novel, THE GREAT MORTDECAI MOUSTACHE MYSTERY.
The novel was finished and published after Bonfigliol’s death by Craig Brown, and is the last in a series of comedic crime novels. Each novel follows Charlie Mortdecai, a quirky anti-hero, who is a wealthy art dealer that also occasionally displays psychotic tendencies who gets himself involved with mysteries. It sounds very similar to the kind of role that Depp has resigned himself to playing recently.
The series is well regarded though so maybe this will turn into something interesting. The other silver lining to this news is that it might scratch the itch that Depp and Koepp obviously have for a comedic quirky crime story. They have been trying to get a remake of THE THIN MAN off the ground for some time now and maybe this can help them give up on that. (We could only be so lucky).
I have my doubts about this project though. While Koepp is an accomplished screenwriter, most of his directorial features have fallen flat for me. He already directed one terrible collaboration with Johnny Depp in SECRET WINDOW and also directed last year’s terrible, PREMIUM RUSH. (I do enjoy STIR OF ECHOES though.)
Here is Amazon’s description of the novel:
Kyril Bonfiglioli's final novel follows the Hon. Charlie Mortdecai from adventure to misadventure via Jersey and Moscow to a final showdown in a Buckinghamshire bungalow of unparalleled hideousness. Tackling en route an unhealthy sprinkling of well-seasoned academics, a cryptic monk, an aristocratic Chief Constable, and more spies than you could shoehorn into a black stretch limo, Mordecai finds himself embroiled in another mission of international insecurity. Left unfinished at the time of the author's death, the celebrated satirist and parodist Craig Brown supplies the penultimate, plot-resolving chapter.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 64 total posts 64 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 239 total posts 35 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 46 total posts 29 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 96 total posts 20 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Karen Gillan has Night Terrors in this First OCULUS Clip! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- All 13 Season-Six Episodes Of CLONE WARS Land On Netflix!! Joan Jett On LETTERMAN!! Kenan Thompson On MEYERS!! TRAIN YOUR DRAGON On FX DOWNLOAD!! New HANNIBAL, FIVE-0, GRIMM, BLOODS, LAST MAN, NEIGHBORS, ELISTED, HOPE, BANSHEE, TREEHOUSE, GOLD & SMACKDOWN!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 45 total posts 11 posts
- New Trailer for Jim Jarmusch's ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Nordling Reviews THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL! -- 95 total posts 10 posts