Romero's Classic DAY OF THE DEAD Headed for Remake...Again.
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
The undead just keep biting. In the latest in Zombie-Flicks-That-Probably-Don't-Need-To-Happen, the LA Times is reporting that Lati Grobman and Christa Campbell, two of the producers behind TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D, have grabbed the rights to George Romero's 1985 zombie classic, DAY OF THE DEAD, and that it is the latest horror property headed for remake.
"But wait!" you might be asking. "Didn't we already have a mediocre DAY OF THE DEAD reboot just a couple of years ago?" I'm glad you asked that. We did, in fact, have a mediocre DAY OF THE DEAD reboot back in 2008 (in which producer Christa Campbell actually had a small role). But I guess it's been 5 years, so why not try again?
But hey, as Campbell noted, “Zombie movies are really popular right now, and we feel we could do this right.” So if it must be remade (yet again), maybe this will be the time we see it done well (or, as well as can be done, when the source material is considered to be such a classic). It sounds like they are at least aiming for the look and feel of the classic shambling zombies seen in the original.
"We want to keep it as close to the Romero version as possible," Campbell said, "to make sure that his fans are happy. These are not going to be zombies climbing walls and doing back flips like in 'World War Z."
So while they seem to be trying to distance themselves from WORLD WAR Z, I can't help but suspect that part of this decision was based on that flick's box-office take, and the simple equation of Zombies + Military = Profit that is almost certainly circling Hollywood right now.
Campbell and Grobman are currently holding meetings with possible writers to figure out the best way to adapt the story. Who knows? Maybe they will come up with a solid way to retell the story of scientists and military personnel and a zombie named Bub.
What do you guys think? Would you see a DAY OF THE DEAD remake?
While you decide, I'll leave you with this.
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 163 total posts 163 posts
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 258 total posts 157 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 260 total posts 122 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 111 total posts 111 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 74 total posts 74 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 156 total posts 65 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 115 total posts 59 posts
- Gaze Upon the Trailer for Tim Burton's BIG EYES! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 42 total posts 42 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 68 total posts 40 posts