Romero's Classic DAY OF THE DEAD Headed for Remake...Again.
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
The undead just keep biting. In the latest in Zombie-Flicks-That-Probably-Don't-Need-To-Happen, the LA Times is reporting that Lati Grobman and Christa Campbell, two of the producers behind TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D, have grabbed the rights to George Romero's 1985 zombie classic, DAY OF THE DEAD, and that it is the latest horror property headed for remake.
"But wait!" you might be asking. "Didn't we already have a mediocre DAY OF THE DEAD reboot just a couple of years ago?" I'm glad you asked that. We did, in fact, have a mediocre DAY OF THE DEAD reboot back in 2008 (in which producer Christa Campbell actually had a small role). But I guess it's been 5 years, so why not try again?
But hey, as Campbell noted, “Zombie movies are really popular right now, and we feel we could do this right.” So if it must be remade (yet again), maybe this will be the time we see it done well (or, as well as can be done, when the source material is considered to be such a classic). It sounds like they are at least aiming for the look and feel of the classic shambling zombies seen in the original.
"We want to keep it as close to the Romero version as possible," Campbell said, "to make sure that his fans are happy. These are not going to be zombies climbing walls and doing back flips like in 'World War Z."
So while they seem to be trying to distance themselves from WORLD WAR Z, I can't help but suspect that part of this decision was based on that flick's box-office take, and the simple equation of Zombies + Military = Profit that is almost certainly circling Hollywood right now.
Campbell and Grobman are currently holding meetings with possible writers to figure out the best way to adapt the story. Who knows? Maybe they will come up with a solid way to retell the story of scientists and military personnel and a zombie named Bub.
What do you guys think? Would you see a DAY OF THE DEAD remake?
While you decide, I'll leave you with this.
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 254 total posts 139 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 542 total posts 29 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 262 total posts 19 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 272 total posts 19 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 42 total posts 7 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 201 total posts 4 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 345 total posts 3 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 552 total posts 3 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No STRAIN This Week!! No LEFTOVERS Finale Either!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 2 total posts 2 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 157 total posts 2 posts