This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: A Casserole of Cool!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's picks of badass flicks created by you, the AICN reading madmen and women who happen to make cool stuff. As you might infer from the title (my apologies for it's lack of dynamic flare - my brain's fried at the moment), this week we'll be taking a stroll through a few different genre neighborhoods. I'm not sure about you, but I'm a horror hound at my core and I certainly love checking out all the horror flicks submitted, but it's always refreshing when another genre can grab my attention and forces me to get caught up in its story. While this isn't a horror block, I'm 100% you'll enjoy what you're going to see today. So if you typically avoid any particular genres (I'm looking your way, Drama skippers!) then today's the day to give in and see something new. Today's a visual feast - it's the collective spread that will leave you feeling full, not just the "deserts." And on that note, if you're a filmmaker out there who's sitting on a short - send it my way. "But Muldoon, the only short I have is THE ADVENTURES OF SUPER DUCK that I made way, way back in college. Should I still submit it?" Hell. Yes.
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
Bam! To kick things off this week with an explosion of talent, we have Iker Maidagan and Dana Terrace's lovely fantasy film. "It's the story of an Inuit boy who finds a bizarre fishing spot while exploring the Arctic wilderness..." If you dig what you see, be sure to click up this link to go to their website.
Here we have another short from SATURDAY SHORTS alum: Peter Bradley. You might remember his short, THE RAVEN, that I posted a while ago. (If not, no worries - get to clicking that link and give a shot! Or don't. It's your world - I just live in it.) At any rate, we've got a heavily influenced Sam Raimi-EVIL DEAD love letter of a flick for you today with Peter's LAUNDRY NIGHT. I for one never wash my clothes (on principal), but after you see this six minutes of odd freakiness, you might never step foot in a laundry room again! The short was produced by Mark Boisvert and Erik Bloomquist, and if you're curious as to what Peter's up to, hit up his Trilobite Pictures site.
(This next one is not for the kiddos. It's got mature elements not intended for the younglings.) From Mat Johns, we get an interesting perspective on a world that might not be as close to home for the bulk of us. "Kiss follows one night in the lives of loner Rob and sex-worker Charlotte - two strangers who come together because of an odd request. Its an emotionally charged and exciting short film from the director of 'Run'. Kiss is a film about not knowing, about risks, and about unseen truths. "
From Matthew Chaung we get this incredibly well shot and well acted film about a girl trying to survive in a household that almost certainly directing her into a sad and miserable life. "Mathilda is a ten-year-old girl who lives with a terrifying monster. Determined to save herself and her sister, Mathilda forms a desperate plan inspired by her imagination, setting off a chain of events not even she could anticipate."
And that's it for this week ladies and gentlemen! Be sure to check back next week for more interesting films from folks like you and me. But hey, be sure to check out any of the past SS columns for more short film fun:
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 189 total posts 185 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 146 total posts 146 posts
- See Luke Evans' Kinect Bats In This New DRACULA UNTOLD Trailer!! -- 106 total posts 106 posts
- This New Trailer For MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT Is Looking Promising!! -- 105 total posts 105 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 54 total posts 54 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 751 total posts 37 posts
- New Red-Band Trailer For ABCs OF DEATH 2 Ain't Fucking Around! -- 24 total posts 24 posts
- Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling to bust some heads as Shane Black's NICE GUYS in July 2016! -- 22 total posts 22 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- Guillermo del Toro and Legendary Teaming Up with YouTube for Halloween Short Films Project! -- 21 total posts 21 posts