This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: A Casserole of Cool!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's picks of badass flicks created by you, the AICN reading madmen and women who happen to make cool stuff. As you might infer from the title (my apologies for it's lack of dynamic flare - my brain's fried at the moment), this week we'll be taking a stroll through a few different genre neighborhoods. I'm not sure about you, but I'm a horror hound at my core and I certainly love checking out all the horror flicks submitted, but it's always refreshing when another genre can grab my attention and forces me to get caught up in its story. While this isn't a horror block, I'm 100% you'll enjoy what you're going to see today. So if you typically avoid any particular genres (I'm looking your way, Drama skippers!) then today's the day to give in and see something new. Today's a visual feast - it's the collective spread that will leave you feeling full, not just the "deserts." And on that note, if you're a filmmaker out there who's sitting on a short - send it my way. "But Muldoon, the only short I have is THE ADVENTURES OF SUPER DUCK that I made way, way back in college. Should I still submit it?" Hell. Yes.
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
Bam! To kick things off this week with an explosion of talent, we have Iker Maidagan and Dana Terrace's lovely fantasy film. "It's the story of an Inuit boy who finds a bizarre fishing spot while exploring the Arctic wilderness..." If you dig what you see, be sure to click up this link to go to their website.
Here we have another short from SATURDAY SHORTS alum: Peter Bradley. You might remember his short, THE RAVEN, that I posted a while ago. (If not, no worries - get to clicking that link and give a shot! Or don't. It's your world - I just live in it.) At any rate, we've got a heavily influenced Sam Raimi-EVIL DEAD love letter of a flick for you today with Peter's LAUNDRY NIGHT. I for one never wash my clothes (on principal), but after you see this six minutes of odd freakiness, you might never step foot in a laundry room again! The short was produced by Mark Boisvert and Erik Bloomquist, and if you're curious as to what Peter's up to, hit up his Trilobite Pictures site.
(This next one is not for the kiddos. It's got mature elements not intended for the younglings.) From Mat Johns, we get an interesting perspective on a world that might not be as close to home for the bulk of us. "Kiss follows one night in the lives of loner Rob and sex-worker Charlotte - two strangers who come together because of an odd request. Its an emotionally charged and exciting short film from the director of 'Run'. Kiss is a film about not knowing, about risks, and about unseen truths. "
From Matthew Chaung we get this incredibly well shot and well acted film about a girl trying to survive in a household that almost certainly directing her into a sad and miserable life. "Mathilda is a ten-year-old girl who lives with a terrifying monster. Determined to save herself and her sister, Mathilda forms a desperate plan inspired by her imagination, setting off a chain of events not even she could anticipate."
And that's it for this week ladies and gentlemen! Be sure to check back next week for more interesting films from folks like you and me. But hey, be sure to check out any of the past SS columns for more short film fun:
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 222 total posts 67 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 162 total posts 48 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 113 total posts 29 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 58 total posts 27 posts
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 27 total posts 27 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 131 total posts 21 posts
- Scott Glenn Joins Charlie Cox, Vincent D’Onofrio, Rosario Dawson, Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll For Netflix’s DAREDEVIL Series!! -- 63 total posts 20 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 101 total posts 19 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1771 total posts 18 posts
- New Poster for V/H/S: VIRAL!!! -- 32 total posts 15 posts