Wherever There's An Opportunity To Produce A New Adaptation Of THE GRAPES OF WRATH, Steven Spielberg Will Be There!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with John Ford's film of THE GRAPES OF WRATH, save for the fact that it is seventy-three years old, shot in black-and-white (by that hack Gregg Toland) and doesn't translate well to the D-Box experience. So it's high time to trick out John Steinbeck's Depression-era tale with all the modern technological trimmings!
According to Deadline, Steven Spielberg is set to produce a new feature film version of THE GRAPES OF WRATH. It is explicitly stated that he will not direct the film, which makes this one of the most coveted open directing assignments in Hollywood. It's a pretty attractive open writing assignment, too, and if it's true that Spielberg and DreamWorks are looking to capitalize on the novel's seventy-fifth anniversary in 2014, it's likely someone is already banging away at the adaptation. There's little chance of making a late 2014 release date if they don't start shooting before the end of this year.
It'll be tough to measure up to the Ford film, which is only one of the most beloved American films of all time. Robert Redford was also in the running for the rights to the book, and his notion to turn it into a miniseries for FX actually sounds more interesting. That would at least be a more thorough presentation of Steinbeck's 600-page novel. But I'm sure we'll all love Ryan Gosling's Oscar-nominated portrayal of Tom Joad. And the 3D Dust Bowl should really be something.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 495 total posts 25 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 444 total posts 17 posts
- The Next STAR TREK!! Variety Says ATTACK THE BLOCK’s Joe Cornish Is Not Directing And Alex Kurtzman Is Not Writing!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 35 total posts 5 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 189 total posts 5 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 213 total posts 4 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 70 total posts 3 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 220 total posts 3 posts
- LIFE OF PI Scribe David Magee to Pen New NARNIA Film! -- 137 total posts 2 posts
- Harry's 49th Picks & Peeks of 2013: OCTAGON, THE WOLVERINE, more Ninjas, Serpico & Saturn 3, NASHVILLE & more! -- 194 total posts 1 post