Wherever There's An Opportunity To Produce A New Adaptation Of THE GRAPES OF WRATH, Steven Spielberg Will Be There!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with John Ford's film of THE GRAPES OF WRATH, save for the fact that it is seventy-three years old, shot in black-and-white (by that hack Gregg Toland) and doesn't translate well to the D-Box experience. So it's high time to trick out John Steinbeck's Depression-era tale with all the modern technological trimmings!
According to Deadline, Steven Spielberg is set to produce a new feature film version of THE GRAPES OF WRATH. It is explicitly stated that he will not direct the film, which makes this one of the most coveted open directing assignments in Hollywood. It's a pretty attractive open writing assignment, too, and if it's true that Spielberg and DreamWorks are looking to capitalize on the novel's seventy-fifth anniversary in 2014, it's likely someone is already banging away at the adaptation. There's little chance of making a late 2014 release date if they don't start shooting before the end of this year.
It'll be tough to measure up to the Ford film, which is only one of the most beloved American films of all time. Robert Redford was also in the running for the rights to the book, and his notion to turn it into a miniseries for FX actually sounds more interesting. That would at least be a more thorough presentation of Steinbeck's 600-page novel. But I'm sure we'll all love Ryan Gosling's Oscar-nominated portrayal of Tom Joad. And the 3D Dust Bowl should really be something.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 204 total posts 73 posts
- Check Out Spidey and Electro in the First Clip from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- ‘Nobody’s Interested In Your Texts!!’ President Barack Obama Takes On Zach Galifianakis BETWEEN TWO FERNS!! -- 74 total posts 39 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 96 total posts 24 posts
- Quint has seen Gareth Edwards and Legendary's Godzilla presentation at SXSW! Full on Kaiju badassery! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 77 total posts 18 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 78 total posts 12 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 88 total posts 12 posts
- International OCULUS Poster Has Arrived! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 129 total posts 11 posts