James Franco Goes Faulkner Again For THE SOUND AND THE FURY!
Undeterred by the mixed reception to his adaptation of William Faulkner's AS I LAY DYING at this year's Cannes Film Festival, James Franco has informed the L.A. Times that he plans to follow-up his directorial debut with a take on the author's THE SOUND AND THE FURY. Give the guy credit: he's using his movie star cache on passion projects with almost zero commercial appeal.
And it looks like he's attracted some serious talent to join him on this journey. According to Franco, Jon Hamm will likely play the patriarch of the crumbling Compson clan. Also on board are James's brother Danny Franco (playing Quentin Compson) and Danny McBride in an undetermined role. Franco will also appear in the movie, and my guess is he'll play the mentally handicapped Benjy Compson.
THE SOUND AND THE FURY is a masterpiece of differing perspective, one that stymied the great Martin Ritt in 1959 (though that film is worth watching for Jack Warden's excellent portrayal of Benji). That said, it's probably a little less of a bear adaptation-wise than AS I LAY DYING. Perhaps Franco figured out Faulkner through the crucible of that first movie. I'd love to see him pull it off.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 91 total posts 91 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 126 total posts 49 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 526 total posts 29 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 280 total posts 24 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 38 total posts 15 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 32 total posts 14 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 138 total posts 9 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 14 total posts 8 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 336 total posts 7 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 233 total posts 7 posts