A Heads Up Re: A Cool Article On The Effects Work Of STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE!!
I’ve written before thatI’ve always been something of sucker for STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE. Moreso than any of the other ‘classic’ TREK films, it was a movie of scope and scale and vision - reaching for a theatricality and ‘size’ which would not be attempted or matched until J.J. Abrams’ 2009 reboot of the franchise.
To be clear, I’m not positing that TMP is the ‘best’ of the classic films - although I do think 2001’s Robert Wise supervised Director’s Cut went a long way toward turning a sometimes bumbling movie into something considerably tighter and more interesting. I will say, however, that ST: TMP is probably the most interesting of the classic films in terms of its science fiction and TONE. TMP is the closest TREK ever got, and is ever likely to get, to capturing the unnerving majesty and sobriety of space travel manifested in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, for example. For better or worse, despite its sometimes derivative trappings, THE MOTION PICTURE had an atmosphere which hasn’t been matched to this day. And likely never will be.
With all of this in mind, I wanted to call your attention to BeyondTheMarquee’s two part interview with STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE visual effects designer Richard Taylor. The interview offers some fascinating insight into the trials and tribulations of realizing the effects for the project (whose effects work was rebooted frighteningly late in the game), and contains some and rare photos of designs which were ultimately altered for production (an Erector Set-like Orbital Drydock with stabilizing thrusters, a very different V’Ger design/model, etc.
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Nordling Reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! -- 145 total posts 145 posts
- Is this our first look at The Thing from Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR reboot!?! -- 149 total posts 133 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 113 total posts 113 posts
- Capone believes HERCULES does a Rock-solid job demystifying and reinforcing the myth!!! -- 70 total posts 70 posts
- "The walrus is far more evolved than any man I've ever known...present company included." Trailer for Kevin Smith's TUSK has arrived! -- 77 total posts 66 posts
- SDCC '14: James Gunn to write and direct the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY sequel!! -- 99 total posts 47 posts
- Capone can't decide if Luc Besson's LUCY is a dumb movie about smart people or a smart movie about dumb people. Whatever it is, he still mostly digs it!!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 135 total posts 39 posts
- Learn Which STAR TREK Icon Joins GAME OF THRONES Next Season!! (Hint: Not Nimoy!!) -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 272 total posts 35 posts