A Heads Up Re: A Cool Article On The Effects Work Of STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE!!
I’ve written before thatI’ve always been something of sucker for STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE. Moreso than any of the other ‘classic’ TREK films, it was a movie of scope and scale and vision - reaching for a theatricality and ‘size’ which would not be attempted or matched until J.J. Abrams’ 2009 reboot of the franchise.
To be clear, I’m not positing that TMP is the ‘best’ of the classic films - although I do think 2001’s Robert Wise supervised Director’s Cut went a long way toward turning a sometimes bumbling movie into something considerably tighter and more interesting. I will say, however, that ST: TMP is probably the most interesting of the classic films in terms of its science fiction and TONE. TMP is the closest TREK ever got, and is ever likely to get, to capturing the unnerving majesty and sobriety of space travel manifested in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, for example. For better or worse, despite its sometimes derivative trappings, THE MOTION PICTURE had an atmosphere which hasn’t been matched to this day. And likely never will be.
With all of this in mind, I wanted to call your attention to BeyondTheMarquee’s two part interview with STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE visual effects designer Richard Taylor. The interview offers some fascinating insight into the trials and tribulations of realizing the effects for the project (whose effects work was rebooted frighteningly late in the game), and contains some and rare photos of designs which were ultimately altered for production (an Erector Set-like Orbital Drydock with stabilizing thrusters, a very different V’Ger design/model, etc.
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 691 total posts 68 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 409 total posts 43 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 363 total posts 28 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 44 total posts 27 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 22 total posts 22 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 212 total posts 21 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 361 total posts 14 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 18 total posts 10 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No LEFTOVERS Finale!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 9 posts