This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: Random Awesomeness!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's kickass festival of short film greatness for your very own viewing pleasure, otherwise known as SATURDAY SHORTS. If you can't tell by my rather vague, yet damn informative title - I'll be screening a handful of random flicks for you today, a toss up of genres. I dig them all, obviously, but fingers crossed - I hope you find something you like. I'm always curious to hear what my fellow AICN folk think of the shorts, so feel free to shoot off your thoughts in the Disquis Talkbacks below, just... please don't be a dick. You never know when the creators of the film you might be talking about may pop up, so if you've got a question/comment - go for it - you might get a response. At any rate, I hope you dig what you see, and if you've got a short you're thinking of sending in, go for it!
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
A KILLER SURPRISE
(NEO BLAXPLOITATION SCI-FI THRILLER)
With a subgenre that specific, you know you're in for something different. Director Kevin Killebrew has a unique as hell film that includes an awesome animated bit of... Wait, I need to watch out for spoilers here... Killebrew's got an insanely wild ride of a film, just perfect to kick this week's selection off with. "The first-to-face meeting between a serial killing madman and the female detective who's been tracking him will end in a surprise... but for who?"
I don't know how to describe what Brian Carroll has done with footage we've all seen before other than "Hey, that's pretty damn cool. I'll send this to my friends." You might remember Brain's film HEART OF COPPOLA from a few weeks back, so you know your in for some quality here. Keep 'em coming, Brian!
THE ARSEHOLE GENE
"Sometimes I just feel like I want to run him down with my car, I really do." Gold. Eric Romero gives us an interesting insight into what makes assholes click, it's simple: genetics. "After years of investigation, a group of European scientists had discovered that the vulgarly called 'arseholes' are actually suffering a genetic mutation that conditions their behaviour. This discovering had opened a door to end with the unfair stigmatization of this group of patients. Understanding how the disease works is the first step to the cure, but there's a lot of work to do before that moment arrives, including informing the citizenship about its existence. Because arseholes... are just sick people."
"Tristan, a gangster, lives in fear. The hearts he has broken are starting catch up on him and they mean to be his end." From Samuel Hilton, we get quite a bit of pure "cool" jammed into three minutes.
ONLY IN DREAMS
From Adam Badlotto we get our last film of the week, a bizarre journey of interesting visuals and sounds. "Over 3,000 images, shot entirely on a flatbed scanner, arranged into an avant-garde stop-motion film that explores the dynamic relationship between sight and sound. Images were scanned into a computer to create a sequence of stop-motion animations. The images were not digitally manipulated in anyway. All of the materials used were found objects or scrap pieces of paper. My intent was to be as spontaneous as possible by not to using any traditional instruments, tools, or methods. None of the sequences were pre-orchestrated but were derived through experimentation. I was consistent with this theme when it came time to capture the audio for the work. Using a field recorder, I recorded random sounds such as a printer while it was printing, wind chimes outside my house, feedback from two telephones and an answering machine, silverware, and a running refrigerator. During a visit in New York I recorded noises and sounds from the subway system and street traffic. The pitch, tone and volume of the sounds were then manipulated to match the dynamic activity of the imagery."
Bam! That's it for this week, folks. I'll see you all next week with more badass films from AICN readers like you and me. Adios. But hey, feel free to teleport back in time by clicking on any of the links below:
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 230 total posts 205 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 185 total posts 141 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 205 total posts 62 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 559 total posts 36 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 114 total posts 24 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 180 total posts 23 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 66 total posts 10 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 356 total posts 9 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 29 total posts 9 posts