Who's dying for a JACOB'S LADDER remake?? Good, 'cause you got one!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
The Hollywood Reporter has put out the news that LD Entertainment has gotten the wheels spinning on a remake of the 1990 psycho-horror flick JACOB'S LADDER. They've hired Jeff Buhler, responsible for the Bradley Cooper-Ryuhei Kitamura splatterfest, THE MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN, to rewrite a preexisting draft by Jake Wade Wall, the writer of the HITCHER and WHEN A STRANGER CALLS remakes; good call! MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN was maybe the most Clive Barker-y Clive Barker movie that he didn't direct himself, and it definitely deals with the kind of "normal guy watching his sense of reality get flushed down the toilet" stuff that they'll need to call up for LADDER.
For those who haven't seen Adrian Lyne's original, it stars Tim Robbins as a Vietnam vet in New York City suffering from a case of post-traumatic stress that would put most to shame. I'm talking seeing demons in the street and shit. It also has Danny Aiello as an angelic chiropractor, and early performances by Jason Alexander, Ving Rhames, Lewis Black, and Macaulay Culkin. It's a moody, atmospheric movie that is very stylistically unique, and sometimes truly tragic and horrifying. I can't imagine that the remake, which will probably transplant Jacob's Vietnam experience to either Iraq or Afghanistan, will have the same oddball gut punch that the original pulls off. But let's see who they get to direct; Kitamura would probably rock it like a hurricane.
The original wasn't a huge hit, nor is it a universally known cult flick or anything, and the Vietnam/Agent Orange element is kind of specific to the film's time period. It's also heavily dependent on its lead performance by Tim Robbins, and they'll have to find someone with a decent amount of clout and talent to hold down the entire movie. It's a questionable one to do over, but hell, it's probably easier to pick a recognizable movie out of a stack of DVDs and then remake it than it is to develop a decent original horror script, am I right?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone loved the pure joy of discovering the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!!! -- 381 total posts 380 posts
- Trailer for MUDBLOODS - Documentary About Real Life Muggle Quidditch Players! -- 233 total posts 137 posts
- International BIRDMAN Trailer Is Here!!! -- 174 total posts 46 posts
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 298 total posts 36 posts
- Will Ferrell to play Russ Meyer in RUSS & ROGER GO BEYOND! -- 29 total posts 29 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 458 total posts 29 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 310 total posts 23 posts
- Disney Taking The Ol' Bait-And-Switch Route With Teaser For INTO THE WOODS! -- 117 total posts 21 posts
- Rest In Peace Makeup Legend Dick Smith -- 118 total posts 21 posts
- 5th Week of July 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: LYNCH - HERZOG - JAA - ARONOFSKY - KASDAN - WOODSTOCK!!! -- 358 total posts 19 posts