Post-apocalyptic drama THE ROVER starring Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson gets a distributor!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
A24 put out news today that they are acquiring the latest from ANIMAL KINGDOM director David Michod, entitled THE ROVER, for U.S. theatrical distribution. The Australian production was, interestingly enough, conceived by Michod and actor Joel Edgerton, who doesn't seem to actually have a role in the finished film. I guess they became tight while shooting Edgarton's smallish role in KINGDOM. The film is a post-apocalyptic drama starring Guy Pearce, Robert Pattinson, and Scoot McNairy, and it sounds a little bit like a buddy-movie version of MAD MAX.
Via the press release: THE ROVER is set in a world ten years following the collapse of the western economic system, where Australia’s mineral resources have drawn the desperados and dangerous to its shores. With society in decline, the rule of law has disintegrated and life is cheap. The film follows hardened loner Eric (Pearce), who travels the desolate towns and roads of the Australian outback. When a gang of thieves steals his car they leave behind the wounded Rey (Pattinson) in their wake. Forcing Rey to help track the gang, Eric will go to any lengths to take back the one thing that matters to him.
Pearce has done the post-apocalyptic thing (briefly in THE ROAD), the Australian outback bit (the amazing THE PROPOSITION), and the Mad Max-like anti-hero (LOCKOUT) before, as well as working with Michod on ANIMAL KINGDOM. I have no doubt he has the chops to hold this one down. McNairy is a badass, eclectic actor who rocked two excellent performances last year in ARGO and KILLING THEM SOFTLY after breaking out in Gareth Edwards' MONSTERS. As for Pattinson, well, I think he has potential, but his milquetoast leads in TWILIGHT and COSMOPOLIS have done little to demonstrate said potential. Working this closely with the consistently-terrific Pearce will either bring out the better actor in him, or will make him seem even more like a mere pretty face than he already does.
I adored ANIMAL KINGDOM, from top-to-bottom, stern-to-stem (if you haven't seen it, be sure to check it out), and this cast and premise have a shit-ton of potential. I'm hoping Michod has the ability to make this more like THE PROPOSITION and less like BOOK OF ELI, or worse, LOCKOUT. From the pic above, at least, it certainly seems gritty. Good sign.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check Out Spidey and Electro in the First Clip from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! -- 89 total posts 89 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 214 total posts 83 posts
- ‘Nobody’s Interested In Your Texts!!’ President Barack Obama Takes On Zach Galifianakis BETWEEN TWO FERNS!! -- 92 total posts 57 posts
- Quint has seen Gareth Edwards and Legendary's Godzilla presentation at SXSW! Full on Kaiju badassery! -- 37 total posts 37 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 97 total posts 25 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 81 total posts 22 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 91 total posts 15 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 80 total posts 14 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 131 total posts 13 posts
- International OCULUS Poster Has Arrived! -- 12 total posts 12 posts