THIS IS THE END might not have actually been the end!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
I was pretty sure we were done with THIS IS THE END. Once our main characters were all either in Heaven, eaten alive, or had resorted to anarchic hedonism/cannibalism, I didn't think there was any logical way to make a sequel, let alone a need for one. Alas, Evan Goldberg has mentioned to ScreenDaily his idea for a sort of side-universe, meta-meta-concept follow-up that again has the actors playing variations on themselves, but this time in a world where THIS IS THE END is, itself, an actual film.
In Goldberg's words: "If you ask me, I’d say there’s a good chance of sequel. If you ask Seth, he’d say no. So, we’ll see. The guys are up for it but we lucked out that they were all available. I honestly don’t know if we could get the guys together. We actually talked about doing a sequel where it starts at the premiere of This is the End. Seth’s a cokehead in this version, Michael Cera is a calm dude with a boyfriend, Rihanna and The Backstreet Boys are back. We have a lot of ideas: a heaven and hell, for example, and a garden of Eden version where Danny [McBride] is Adam."
As I was when I first heard the concept for THIS IS THE END, more than anything, I am just fascinated with the idea of actually rendering that premise into a mainstream feature film. If they could write it cleverly enough, it would put an even bigger spin on the whole notion of celebrity culture, subverting the subversions that Goldberg and Rogen already made in the first film. I mean, provided they could work out the scheduling, making a sequel seems like a good bet, money-wise; the film has doubled its budget in the two weeks its been out domestically, and it hasn't even rolled out in most international markets yet. I'd still rather see PINEAPPLE EXPRESS 2 (even if they reuse the premise they hauled out for THIS IS THE END), but if they have to sequelize another one of the Rogen-Goldberg flicks, I'd be glad if it was this one.
Can't you just envision that scene of McBride justifying eating the forbidden fruit to himself? It would totally kick the ass of the similar scene in YEAR ONE (not like that's any huge feat). Although I vote for N'Sync or 98 Degrees this time instead of BSB.
Go see THIS IS THE END in theaters now, if you haven't already. It's fucking hilarious.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 298 total posts 162 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 70 total posts 70 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 145 total posts 67 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 279 total posts 64 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 65 total posts 27 posts
- New BATES, BONES, BEAST, BRAIN, BEING, BELIEVE, BITTEN!! BACHELOR & BEAST Finales!! MOTHER, MOLLY, MORTY, MAYNE, KILL, VOICE, DALLAS, SWITCHED, FOSTERS, ROADSHOW, INTELLIGENCE, STARCROSSED, FOLLOWING, WOLF, RAW, & LOST GIRL!! The Return Of THE PEOPLE’S COUCH!! Emily Mortimer On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 316 total posts 15 posts
- Quint thinks Nick Stoller's NEIGHBORS is heartfelt, hysterical and all kinds of messed up! SXSW 2014! -- 10 total posts 10 posts