THIS IS THE END might not have actually been the end!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
I was pretty sure we were done with THIS IS THE END. Once our main characters were all either in Heaven, eaten alive, or had resorted to anarchic hedonism/cannibalism, I didn't think there was any logical way to make a sequel, let alone a need for one. Alas, Evan Goldberg has mentioned to ScreenDaily his idea for a sort of side-universe, meta-meta-concept follow-up that again has the actors playing variations on themselves, but this time in a world where THIS IS THE END is, itself, an actual film.
In Goldberg's words: "If you ask me, I’d say there’s a good chance of sequel. If you ask Seth, he’d say no. So, we’ll see. The guys are up for it but we lucked out that they were all available. I honestly don’t know if we could get the guys together. We actually talked about doing a sequel where it starts at the premiere of This is the End. Seth’s a cokehead in this version, Michael Cera is a calm dude with a boyfriend, Rihanna and The Backstreet Boys are back. We have a lot of ideas: a heaven and hell, for example, and a garden of Eden version where Danny [McBride] is Adam."
As I was when I first heard the concept for THIS IS THE END, more than anything, I am just fascinated with the idea of actually rendering that premise into a mainstream feature film. If they could write it cleverly enough, it would put an even bigger spin on the whole notion of celebrity culture, subverting the subversions that Goldberg and Rogen already made in the first film. I mean, provided they could work out the scheduling, making a sequel seems like a good bet, money-wise; the film has doubled its budget in the two weeks its been out domestically, and it hasn't even rolled out in most international markets yet. I'd still rather see PINEAPPLE EXPRESS 2 (even if they reuse the premise they hauled out for THIS IS THE END), but if they have to sequelize another one of the Rogen-Goldberg flicks, I'd be glad if it was this one.
Can't you just envision that scene of McBride justifying eating the forbidden fruit to himself? It would totally kick the ass of the similar scene in YEAR ONE (not like that's any huge feat). Although I vote for N'Sync or 98 Degrees this time instead of BSB.
Go see THIS IS THE END in theaters now, if you haven't already. It's fucking hilarious.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Cyborg is confirmed to appear in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, and we know who's going to play him! -- 224 total posts 224 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 216 total posts 216 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 129 total posts 129 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 462 total posts 125 posts
- UPDATED (17:15) with image of the cast in character! Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 90 total posts 90 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 179 total posts 49 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 75 total posts 46 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 54 total posts 46 posts
- Amanda Seyfried to fly with PAN! -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 44 total posts 35 posts