THIS IS THE END might not have actually been the end!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
I was pretty sure we were done with THIS IS THE END. Once our main characters were all either in Heaven, eaten alive, or had resorted to anarchic hedonism/cannibalism, I didn't think there was any logical way to make a sequel, let alone a need for one. Alas, Evan Goldberg has mentioned to ScreenDaily his idea for a sort of side-universe, meta-meta-concept follow-up that again has the actors playing variations on themselves, but this time in a world where THIS IS THE END is, itself, an actual film.
In Goldberg's words: "If you ask me, I’d say there’s a good chance of sequel. If you ask Seth, he’d say no. So, we’ll see. The guys are up for it but we lucked out that they were all available. I honestly don’t know if we could get the guys together. We actually talked about doing a sequel where it starts at the premiere of This is the End. Seth’s a cokehead in this version, Michael Cera is a calm dude with a boyfriend, Rihanna and The Backstreet Boys are back. We have a lot of ideas: a heaven and hell, for example, and a garden of Eden version where Danny [McBride] is Adam."
As I was when I first heard the concept for THIS IS THE END, more than anything, I am just fascinated with the idea of actually rendering that premise into a mainstream feature film. If they could write it cleverly enough, it would put an even bigger spin on the whole notion of celebrity culture, subverting the subversions that Goldberg and Rogen already made in the first film. I mean, provided they could work out the scheduling, making a sequel seems like a good bet, money-wise; the film has doubled its budget in the two weeks its been out domestically, and it hasn't even rolled out in most international markets yet. I'd still rather see PINEAPPLE EXPRESS 2 (even if they reuse the premise they hauled out for THIS IS THE END), but if they have to sequelize another one of the Rogen-Goldberg flicks, I'd be glad if it was this one.
Can't you just envision that scene of McBride justifying eating the forbidden fruit to himself? It would totally kick the ass of the similar scene in YEAR ONE (not like that's any huge feat). Although I vote for N'Sync or 98 Degrees this time instead of BSB.
Go see THIS IS THE END in theaters now, if you haven't already. It's fucking hilarious.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Rumor Has It Another Character Is Returning To STAR WARS... -- 270 total posts 270 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 244 total posts 135 posts
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 256 total posts 128 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 207 total posts 42 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 132 total posts 22 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for AMITYVILLE: THE AWAKENING! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 179 total posts 20 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 36 total posts 13 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 398 total posts 12 posts