THIS IS THE END might not have actually been the end!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
I was pretty sure we were done with THIS IS THE END. Once our main characters were all either in Heaven, eaten alive, or had resorted to anarchic hedonism/cannibalism, I didn't think there was any logical way to make a sequel, let alone a need for one. Alas, Evan Goldberg has mentioned to ScreenDaily his idea for a sort of side-universe, meta-meta-concept follow-up that again has the actors playing variations on themselves, but this time in a world where THIS IS THE END is, itself, an actual film.
In Goldberg's words: "If you ask me, I’d say there’s a good chance of sequel. If you ask Seth, he’d say no. So, we’ll see. The guys are up for it but we lucked out that they were all available. I honestly don’t know if we could get the guys together. We actually talked about doing a sequel where it starts at the premiere of This is the End. Seth’s a cokehead in this version, Michael Cera is a calm dude with a boyfriend, Rihanna and The Backstreet Boys are back. We have a lot of ideas: a heaven and hell, for example, and a garden of Eden version where Danny [McBride] is Adam."
As I was when I first heard the concept for THIS IS THE END, more than anything, I am just fascinated with the idea of actually rendering that premise into a mainstream feature film. If they could write it cleverly enough, it would put an even bigger spin on the whole notion of celebrity culture, subverting the subversions that Goldberg and Rogen already made in the first film. I mean, provided they could work out the scheduling, making a sequel seems like a good bet, money-wise; the film has doubled its budget in the two weeks its been out domestically, and it hasn't even rolled out in most international markets yet. I'd still rather see PINEAPPLE EXPRESS 2 (even if they reuse the premise they hauled out for THIS IS THE END), but if they have to sequelize another one of the Rogen-Goldberg flicks, I'd be glad if it was this one.
Can't you just envision that scene of McBride justifying eating the forbidden fruit to himself? It would totally kick the ass of the similar scene in YEAR ONE (not like that's any huge feat). Although I vote for N'Sync or 98 Degrees this time instead of BSB.
Go see THIS IS THE END in theaters now, if you haven't already. It's fucking hilarious.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check Out Spidey and Electro in the First Clip from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! -- 128 total posts 128 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 242 total posts 111 posts
- ‘Nobody’s Interested In Your Texts!!’ President Barack Obama Takes On Zach Galifianakis BETWEEN TWO FERNS!! -- 132 total posts 97 posts
- Quint has seen Gareth Edwards and Legendary's Godzilla presentation at SXSW! Full on Kaiju badassery! -- 57 total posts 57 posts
- SXSW 2014: Nordling Reviews THE RAID 2: BERANDAL! -- 38 total posts 38 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 106 total posts 34 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 82 total posts 23 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 88 total posts 22 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 97 total posts 21 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 136 total posts 18 posts