THIS IS THE END might not have actually been the end!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
I was pretty sure we were done with THIS IS THE END. Once our main characters were all either in Heaven, eaten alive, or had resorted to anarchic hedonism/cannibalism, I didn't think there was any logical way to make a sequel, let alone a need for one. Alas, Evan Goldberg has mentioned to ScreenDaily his idea for a sort of side-universe, meta-meta-concept follow-up that again has the actors playing variations on themselves, but this time in a world where THIS IS THE END is, itself, an actual film.
In Goldberg's words: "If you ask me, I’d say there’s a good chance of sequel. If you ask Seth, he’d say no. So, we’ll see. The guys are up for it but we lucked out that they were all available. I honestly don’t know if we could get the guys together. We actually talked about doing a sequel where it starts at the premiere of This is the End. Seth’s a cokehead in this version, Michael Cera is a calm dude with a boyfriend, Rihanna and The Backstreet Boys are back. We have a lot of ideas: a heaven and hell, for example, and a garden of Eden version where Danny [McBride] is Adam."
As I was when I first heard the concept for THIS IS THE END, more than anything, I am just fascinated with the idea of actually rendering that premise into a mainstream feature film. If they could write it cleverly enough, it would put an even bigger spin on the whole notion of celebrity culture, subverting the subversions that Goldberg and Rogen already made in the first film. I mean, provided they could work out the scheduling, making a sequel seems like a good bet, money-wise; the film has doubled its budget in the two weeks its been out domestically, and it hasn't even rolled out in most international markets yet. I'd still rather see PINEAPPLE EXPRESS 2 (even if they reuse the premise they hauled out for THIS IS THE END), but if they have to sequelize another one of the Rogen-Goldberg flicks, I'd be glad if it was this one.
Can't you just envision that scene of McBride justifying eating the forbidden fruit to himself? It would totally kick the ass of the similar scene in YEAR ONE (not like that's any huge feat). Although I vote for N'Sync or 98 Degrees this time instead of BSB.
Go see THIS IS THE END in theaters now, if you haven't already. It's fucking hilarious.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The New Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1 Hints That The Movie Is Freakin’ Huge!! -- 245 total posts 245 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1682 total posts 157 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 127 total posts 127 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- A New Promo For STAR WARS REBELS Brings Action And Character Intros!! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 62 total posts 62 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 57 total posts 57 posts
- Look Upon The Bizarre, Horrible, And Possibly Awesome Insanity Of This DEAD SNOW 2 Trailer!! -- 47 total posts 47 posts
- Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett to take on I SAW THE DEVIL REMAKE!!!!!!!! -- 39 total posts 39 posts
- STAR TREK Vet Bryan Fuller’s HIGH MOON Pilot Hits Syfy!! The Dome Is Shrinking On Penultimate UNDER!! 3-Hour International NINJA WARRIOR Special!! APPROVAL MATRIX & MASTERCHEF Finales!! LOVE & HIP HOP HOLLYWOOD Premiere!! New MNF, DALLAS, WOLF, MODEL & RAW!! TERROR IN NAIROBI On HBO!! Bill Hader & Nancy Pelosi on SETH!! Tim Olyphant & Nasim Pedrad On CONAN!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 35 total posts 35 posts