Updated! Now In English! We got a trailer for Ridley Scott's latest, THE COUNSELOR; may contain Fassbender, Pitt, Bardem, Cruz, and Diaz!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Today, we get our first look at the upcoming Cormac McCarthy-Ridley Scott collab, THE COUNSELOR, via this Russian trailer. Even without hearing a word of English, a few things are strikingly clear. One, perhaps most obviously, the film has a really cool, vibrant look. It's awesome to see Scott doing what seems to be a low-down, dirty crime pic, and every frame is infused with a heavy sense of style. Two, for a film coming out in the "post-movie-star era", this film has a freakin' high-wattage cast. We're talkin' a Fassbender, some Pitt, a little bit of Vanilla Sky Cruz and Diaz action, and a Bardem to boot. Fassbender seems to be the center of the action, with the more established movie stars (particularly Pitt and Bardem- check out their do's!) filling out the colorful supporting roles. I love that megastar Pitt is the last name we see in the credits; last time that happened, we got his movie-stealing character in BURN AFTER READING, so I'm hoping for another TRUE ROMANCE/12 MONKEYS knockout from the newly-minted zombie killer.
Another cool aspect of this trailer is the impending sense of dread hanging over everything. This seems to be in the no-nonsense vein of McCarthy's NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, complete with bizarre-looking supporting characters and a pitch-black sense of humor. Lest we forget, Scott is the dude that made maybe the least-cheesy sci-fi film of all time, ALIEN. If anyone knows how to drag out the sense of impending doom for the length of a feature, it's this guy. Might not even have a need for an English trailer at this point; I can't imagine the dialogue doing any more to sell the film than this cool-as-hell trailer already does.
Update: And now we have an English-language version!
THE COUNSELOR opens on October 25th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 383 total posts 102 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 280 total posts 34 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 243 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 210 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 203 total posts 10 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts