Chris Rock to direct a new movie starring himself, Rosario Dawson, Gabrielle Union, and now, J.B. Smoove, Kevin Hart, and Sherri Shepherd!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Via Deadline, we have word that Chris Rock has added some strong comedy players to his newest project as a writer-director, tentatively titled FINALLY FAMOUS. J.B. Smoove, Kevin Hart, and Sherri Shepherd are joining Gabrielle Union, Rosario Dawson, and Rock himself in the upcoming movie, which has Rock playing a comedian who agrees to marry his reality-TV star girlfriend live on her show. It's a little more dramatic than we're used to seeing the massively famous jokester, due to the fact that his character is an alcoholic who is in a codependent relationship with his apparently manipulative fiancee, played by Union, whom he credits with his sobriety. Dawson will play another love interest for Rock, Smoove will play a bodyguard figure, Shepherd plays an ex-girlfriend of Rock's, and Hart will cameo as his money-hungry agent (is there any other kind?)
Smoove is best known for his hilarious work on HBO's CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, as well as supporting roles in movies like DATE NIGHT, MOVIE 43 and Rock's own POOTIE TANG. Hart is having a great summer, after appearing in THIS IS THE END and following that up with his own wide-released theatrical stand-up film (the first since maybe THE BLUE COLLAR COMEDY TOUR), KEVIN HART: LET ME EXPLAIN. Both comedians are energetic and consistently funny (particularly Smoove), and should add some flavor to the New York-set comedy. Sherri Shepherd is slightly more of a wildcard; her most prominent role has been as a cohost on THE VIEW for the past 8 years, but she's also made a name for herself as an actress/comedienne in movies like THINK LIKE A MAN, PRECIOUS: BASED ON THE NOVEL "PUSH" BY SAPPHIRE, and a strong stint as Tracy Jordan's wife, Angie, on 30 ROCK.
The cast and the premise are looking solid. Certainly more I THINK I LOVE MY WIFE than HEAD OF STATE; hopefully this will be better than both. I like the idea of Dawson and Rock having romantic sparks, and Smoove and Hart should be great comic backup. I totally dig that Rock's shooting in his native New York. And if anyone has any doubts about his dramatic abilities, I highly recommend you seek out his work in NEW JACK CITY, which he almost completely steals away from stars Wesley Snipes and Ice-T. But we all know he can bring the funny when he wants to (your guess is as good as mine as to what's going on with him in those GROWN-UPS movies).
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 351 total posts 351 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 588 total posts 268 posts
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 614 total posts 164 posts
- Watch Quickly!! Some Test Footage From Tim Miller And Ryan Reynolds’ DEADPOOL Movie!! -- 144 total posts 144 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 778 total posts 113 posts
- KILL BILL: THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR to get a limited theatrical release in 2015?! -- 93 total posts 93 posts
- A New Tease For DOCTOR WHO Season / Series 8!! -- 85 total posts 85 posts
- A Nifty Video Tour Of The Warner Bros Museum Commemorates BATMAN’s 75th Anniversary!! -- 71 total posts 71 posts
- Eva Green in Talks for Tim Burton's MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN! -- 58 total posts 58 posts
- The Girls Come Out To Play In Red-Band Comic Con Trailer For SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! -- 53 total posts 53 posts