Bibbidi-bobbidi-Bonham Carter to play a Fairy Godmother to CINDERELLA!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
The CINDERELLA redo, starring Lily James, Richard Madden, and Kate Blanchett, just found its Fairy Godmother, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Director Kenneth Branagh has cast Helena Bonham Carter to play the supernatural matron who hooks Cinderella up with her duds, her killer ride, and those shiny kicks that cause oh, so much trouble. Apparently, she'll have a sizable role in the film, due to a decision to make her a sort of "watcher" character, keeping an eye on the disregarded young lass as she grows up, while in the guise of an old beggar.
Bonham Carter hasn't been a stranger to big-budget tentpoles over the course of her career, starting out by making a strong impression (under pounds of Rick Baker makeup) in her now-husband Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES, and carrying through with appearances in Burton's following four pictures, as well as in the HARRY POTTER films and LES MISERABLES (the less said about her role in TERMINATOR: SALVATION, the better). She also appears in what seems to be a colorful role in THE LONE RANGER in a couple weeks. She is very good at fitting into a stylized and bizarre cinematic universe without going too far over the top, so the casting feels appropriate. Her and Blanchett are strong actors to bolster down this family film, and, as we've seen in SWEENEY TODD and LES MIZ, Carter's got the pipes if the project requires their use.
Looking forward to seeing what Branagh does with the visual aspect of the film now that he has his actors locked down. I thought he did a killer job with THOR, and now he has to do another supernatural fantasy, so hopefully he can make a superior product to MIRROR, MIRROR and SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN. Or at least a film with a stronger personality.
CINDERELLA should come out sometime next year, probably around Christmas.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 497 total posts 27 posts
- The Next STAR TREK!! Variety Says ATTACK THE BLOCK’s Joe Cornish Is Not Directing And Alex Kurtzman Is Not Writing!! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 444 total posts 17 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 214 total posts 5 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 35 total posts 5 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 189 total posts 5 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 70 total posts 3 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 220 total posts 3 posts
- LIFE OF PI Scribe David Magee to Pen New NARNIA Film! -- 137 total posts 2 posts
- Harry's 49th Picks & Peeks of 2013: OCTAGON, THE WOLVERINE, more Ninjas, Serpico & Saturn 3, NASHVILLE & more! -- 194 total posts 1 post