UPDATED WITH POSTER!! GO BUY SOME LEGOS, KIDS a.k.a. THE LEGO MOVIE stacks up a trailer!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
UPDATE (19:45): Along with the trailer and that logo before, we now have the poster for this shindig, and it definitely gets the general gestalt of the project across without hinting one bit as to what the story is. Still, that trailer is a step in the right direction, marketing-wise!
ORIGINAL STORY BELOW:
Today, we get our first look at the upcoming THE LEGO MOVIE, a shockingly license-ignorant animated film that uses the famous LEGO style to tell a feature-length narrative (and, one presumes, to move truckloads of toys). Phil Lord and Christopher Miller wrote and directed, which is a good sign that this one may not fall into the "corporate advertisement" trap it could've easily played into. Between CLONE HIGH, CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS, and 21 JUMP STREET, they've established that they can infuse craziness and oddball humor into all of their work, even while using preexisting characters or properties.
The trailer is surprisingly interesting and funny, opening with an AVENGERS joke that seems stale until the term "assembled" gets cutely reappropriated. There is definitely more of an emphasis on the licensed characters are featured in this thing, including some key DC characters (which Warner Bros. conveniently owns) and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, over the use of the LEGO aesthetic in this CGI environment. Chris Pratt seems like an excellent choice for the lackadaisical lead, and Morgan Freeman plays yet another variation of God. I'm not crazy about the extended boy-meets-girl gag that ends the trailer, but the reveal of the remaining voice cast (including Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Alison Brie, and Liam Neeson) more than makes up for that. Can't wait to hear what Ferrell (and, for that matter, Neeson) does with a bonkers Lord/Miller animated character!
Not to be a dick about this, but didn't THIS movie probably warrant stop-motion in some capacity? I'm just saying.
THE LEGO MOVIE will be released on February 7th, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 191 total posts 191 posts
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 270 total posts 169 posts
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 153 total posts 153 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 137 total posts 137 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 273 total posts 135 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 77 total posts 77 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 163 total posts 72 posts
- Gaze Upon the Trailer for Tim Burton's BIG EYES! -- 65 total posts 65 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 116 total posts 60 posts
- CBS, The Only Network Without A Superhero Show, Just Ordered To Series Berlanti’s SUPERGIRL!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts