UPDATED WITH POSTER!! GO BUY SOME LEGOS, KIDS a.k.a. THE LEGO MOVIE stacks up a trailer!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
UPDATE (19:45): Along with the trailer and that logo before, we now have the poster for this shindig, and it definitely gets the general gestalt of the project across without hinting one bit as to what the story is. Still, that trailer is a step in the right direction, marketing-wise!
ORIGINAL STORY BELOW:
Today, we get our first look at the upcoming THE LEGO MOVIE, a shockingly license-ignorant animated film that uses the famous LEGO style to tell a feature-length narrative (and, one presumes, to move truckloads of toys). Phil Lord and Christopher Miller wrote and directed, which is a good sign that this one may not fall into the "corporate advertisement" trap it could've easily played into. Between CLONE HIGH, CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS, and 21 JUMP STREET, they've established that they can infuse craziness and oddball humor into all of their work, even while using preexisting characters or properties.
The trailer is surprisingly interesting and funny, opening with an AVENGERS joke that seems stale until the term "assembled" gets cutely reappropriated. There is definitely more of an emphasis on the licensed characters are featured in this thing, including some key DC characters (which Warner Bros. conveniently owns) and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, over the use of the LEGO aesthetic in this CGI environment. Chris Pratt seems like an excellent choice for the lackadaisical lead, and Morgan Freeman plays yet another variation of God. I'm not crazy about the extended boy-meets-girl gag that ends the trailer, but the reveal of the remaining voice cast (including Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Alison Brie, and Liam Neeson) more than makes up for that. Can't wait to hear what Ferrell (and, for that matter, Neeson) does with a bonkers Lord/Miller animated character!
Not to be a dick about this, but didn't THIS movie probably warrant stop-motion in some capacity? I'm just saying.
THE LEGO MOVIE will be released on February 7th, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Are you ready for VENOM and SINISTER-SIX films? -- 321 total posts 321 posts
- War Machine to join Iron Man and friends in THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON!?! -- 203 total posts 203 posts
- THE NAKED GUN To Abuse Nordberg Once More?? -- 155 total posts 155 posts
- Capone believes a dragon and a host of new characters save THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG!!! -- 99 total posts 99 posts
- International Trailer for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2!!! -- 73 total posts 73 posts
- Renny Harlin's THE LEGEND OF HERCULES Get a New Trailer! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- The Friday Docback Awaits 'The Time of the Doctor'!! Looking Forward To DOCTOR WHO's Christmas Regeneration, And More!! -- 51 total posts 51 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 158 total posts 33 posts
- Mr. Beaks And Jason Schwartzman Tune Up A Supercalifragilistic Interview About Richard M. Sherman And SAVING MR. BANKS! -- 31 total posts 31 posts
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 419 total posts 25 posts