CATCHER IN THE RYE author J.D. Salinger got his own doc, entitled SALINGER!! We got a trailer!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
J.D. Salinger published The Catcher in the Rye the same year that Jack Kerouac completed On The Road. Kerouac's novel encapsulated a generational movement that led directly into the counter-culture of the '60s. But no one would argue that Salinger's work was anything other than the most influential book of the latter half of the 20th century. While Kerouac and Salinger both retreated from the public eye following their rise to fame, Salinger remains the more enigmatic, mysterious figure, particularly because, even though he lived until 2010, he stopped publishing his work in 1965. What the hell was one of America's finest novelists doing for the last 45 years of his life?
That's the premise that provoked screenwriter Shane Salerno (SHAFT, SAVAGES) to dedicate eight years and $2 million of his own loot (presumably from his TV work and ARMAGEDDON) to the purpose of completing this Salinger-centric doc. Aside from examining his past (including a tour in WWII that shaped the rest of his life) and talking-head interviews discussing his massive influence, the film seeks to discover why Salinger became so resentful of the public eye, and just what the hell he was doing instead of accepting awards and doing photo shoots. There seems to be plenty of evidence that shows that he was writing plenty of material during the second half of his life. Salerno appears to have attempted to dig up at least some of that material, or at least information regarding it, using the cloud of mystery surrounding Salinger's life as an interesting hook to distinguish it from other examinations of the writer and his mark on American culture.
The trailer sets up the premise, and Salinger's impact on countless adolescents, while getting in a few of the celeb interviewers, including Martin Sheen, John Cusack, Edward Norton, and Danny DeVito in there as well. I like the bit where playwright John Guare discusses the repercussions of the fact that three prolific murderers attributed their crimes to reading Catcher; with that kind of notorious fame and influence, it is not hard to imagine that a sensitive artist, such as Salinger, would see no other option than to Howard Hughes himself out of mainstream society's unforgiving, rampant scrutiny.
According to IMDB, the film also features interviews with Philip Seymour Hoffman, Gore Vidal, Judd Apatow, David Milch, Robert Towne, and E.L. Doctorow, as well as, I'm sure, a mess of less-famous literary experts and professors. This trailer has definitely sold me on both the idea that a doc like this was necessary to make, and that Salerno had the style and information to pull it off properly.
SALINGER will be released on September 6th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 442 total posts 285 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 209 total posts 168 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 165 total posts 79 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 28 total posts 28 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 62 total posts 25 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 304 total posts 22 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 47 total posts 21 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 290 total posts 20 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 193 total posts 7 posts