Steve Coogan has to chat his way out of a jam in this trailer for ALAN PARTRIDGE: ALPHA PAPA!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
While Steve Coogan is best known stateside as a comic supporting player in films like TROPIC THUNDER and THE OTHER GUYS, he first broke through in the U.K. as a character named Alan Partridge. Partridge, essentially a befuddled takeoff on cornball, uptight British reporters, first hit it big on radio (on a show called ON THE HOUR, co-created by IN THE LOOP and VEEP writer Armando Ianucci), before getting his own chat show, two television series, several specials, a (fake) autobiography, and now, his own movie-film-for-theaters. The character, somewhat modeled after British record producer/TV personality Tony Wilson (who Coogan played in 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE), didn't cross over to mainstream America nearly as well as Sacha Baron Cohen's Ali G, Borat, and Bruno, but he probably remains Coogan's most popular character across the pond, and he's finally seen fit to give the clueless chat-artist his own feature.
The flick, dubiously subtitled ALPHA PAPA, has Patridge firing his longterm sidekick (played by Colm Meany), before being forced to negotiate with the disgruntled firee when he takes the radio studio hostage, AIRHEADS-style. The trailer makes it apparent that most of the film takes place in and around this radio station, and that the humor is mostly derived from Coogan's goofy sarcasm and Meany's deranged desperation. It sets up the character well to audiences who may, or may not, know who Partridge is, even in Britain, where he's been out of the mainstream for a few years (aside from a TV special and some webisodes) due to Coogan's film career. I think most of the jokes hit well (his offhand description of Fleetwood Mac sets the mood up nicely, and I thought the helicopter gag is pretty damn funny), and it's awesome to see Coogan as the lead in a straight-up comedy for the first time since HAMLET 2, after spending the last several years killing it in his supporting parts and his more dramatic work with Michael Winterbottom (THE LOOK OF LOVE, THE TRIP).
And doesn't everyone dig seeing Colm Meany? He's like the John C. Reilly of British cinema.
Also, here is the original teaser that (kinda) explains where they got the name ALPHA PAPA. I'm with Partridge in my preference for COLOSSAL VELOCITY, but hey. The Brits are bigger fans of subtlety, I suppose.
ALAN PARTRIDGE: ALPHA PAPA will release in the U.K. on August 7th. Presumably, it'll come on VOD or home video (I don't see this getting a wide theatrical release) sometime thereafter.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 174 total posts 33 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 180 total posts 22 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 127 total posts 19 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 64 total posts 15 posts
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 554 total posts 14 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 341 total posts 14 posts
- A New & Full Length Trailer For Disney XD’s STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 65 total posts 13 posts
- New Trailer Promises the Creepiest HONEYMOON Ever! -- 31 total posts 13 posts
- A Recently Recovered Gene Roddenberry Interview Leads To A Kickstarter About The Early Days Of STAR TREK!! -- 74 total posts 8 posts
- AICN Austin's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Screening at Alamo Lakeline is set! Come join the fun! -- 7 total posts 7 posts