IN A WORLD where every actor/actress gets a shot at writing/directing their own movie, we get this trailer!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Today, we get the first trailer for the directorial debut of actress Lake Bell (CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL, A GOOD OLD FASHIONED ORGY, OVER HER DEAD BODY), and it is, ironically enough, set in the world of trailer voice-overs. Bell plays the protagonist, a Hollywood vocal coach who attempts to break into the male-dominated industry of doing V.O. work on movie trailers. The trailer highlights the tropes of their trade, including the Don Lafontaine-esque deep voices and the uses of phrases like, you guessed it, "In a world…" (where nothing is what it seems, where good men do bad things, etc.). It also gives us a peek at the crazy-talented cast, which also includes Demetri Martin, Nick Offerman, Rob Corddry, Michaela Watkins, Ken Marino (who looks hilarious as a professional rival), Tig Notaro, and Fred Melamed (Sy Ableman from A SERIOUS MAN), who plays Bell's deep-voiced trailer-vet father.
While this tradition of every sitcom/B-level actor/actress getting their own indie movie (for every Clark Gregg or Peter Berg that probably deserves it, a Josh Radner or Zach Braff takes a budget away from a genius film student) is a little tiresome, this premise manages to stand apart from the countless films about the exclusivity of the mainstream film industry (much like Gregg's touching TRUST ME). Bell has never wowed me with any of her acting work, but even the snippets of her character that we see here makes me consider that she may be the only writer/director to giver herself the opportunity to show off her skills. That bit with the ditzy girl at the end of the trailer definitely made me chuckle.
Bell's film got solid press out of Sundance, where reviewers praised the low-key nature of the humor and Bell's performance, in particular. After seeing her primarily taking best-friend roles and forgettable TV gigs over the past few years, I hope this announces t he next stage in her career, and I wish her the best whenever this movie actually comes out. I'm always a sucker for a good film-industry-based comedy.
IN A WORLD… will be released in the U.K. on September 13. No word yet on a U.S. release date, but the film was picked up out of Sundance by Roadside Attractions, so expect a VOD or theatrical release sooner than later.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 263 total posts 238 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 203 total posts 159 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 225 total posts 82 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 563 total posts 40 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 187 total posts 30 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 115 total posts 25 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 357 total posts 10 posts
- REAL HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION Premiere!! The Return Of ORPHAN BLACK!! Hallmark’s A LESSON IN ROMANCE!! Lifetime’s A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 66 total posts 10 posts